Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mansions tax could destroy architectural heritage of Ireland's finest houses

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mansions tax could destroy architectural heritage of Ireland's finest houses

Maybe this architectural heritage is of little concern to Irish people,its philistine political leaders as well as the media going by the absence of media criticism on how the tax would affect the conservation of Ireland's finest houses. In the UK,there is an upper limit over a million pounds on the application of rates (interesting article REVEALED: Secret new mansion tax plan to hammer £1m homeowners | Mail Online) but in Ireland rates will apply on full market value,which could be five million plus for some. The UK limit recognises that many people on moderate incomes would have great difficulty paying rates on full market value of expensive houses they inherited and that the houses would fall into disrepair.

In Ireland,in the case of houses where home owners can't afford to pay,the rates in arrears will be accumulated at high interest rates,with the debts settled on the sale of the houses or passed on to the heirs of the estate.If the heirs can't afford to pay,presumably their houses would have to be sold off. In such circumstances,houses will fall into disrepair as people save money on repairs and refurbishments to pay rates.

Rates can incentivise ugliness too.In Rome in the 1980s,I was surprised at the shabby exteriors of houses in even the best neighbourhoods. I read later that many of those shabby exteriors were designed to conceal luxurious interiors from assessors of property taxes. Let's hope Dublin 4 doesn't start to take on a shabby look as rates keep rising steeply in coming years.

Another possibility is a repeat of the Dromore Castle,Limerick situation. This fine castle was bought by a Limerick building materials supplier in the 1950s who proceeded to strip out its roof and its fine wooden flooring for resale,eliminating rates http://irelandinruins.blogspot.ie/20...-limerick.html.
    Last edited by patslatt; 9th December 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As long as politicians and Labour Party hacks are exempted, no one of importance could complain.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are destroying everything else. Mansions be a bit down the list now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a clusterfúck.

In five years time we'll look back and wonder how the Government could have been so stupid.

Labour never allow common sense to come between them and their ideology, just like they never let truth get between them and the trough.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Wait a minute. You want me to feel sorry for someone in a 5 million € house having to pay some tax? Right! And I worry about how to pay €45 on mine. Sorry, no pity.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do - Isaac Asimov

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crotta Cliach View Post
    Wait a minute. You want me to feel sorry for someone in a 5 million € house having to pay some tax? Right! And I worry about how to pay €45 on mine. Sorry, no pity.
    The problem with most of these "5 million" houses is that it is nigh on impossible to turn them into cash.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crotta Cliach View Post
    It is not about pity,it's about preserving the country's architectural heritage and even the attractive exteriors of ordinary houses if the situation of Rome's high property taxes could apply.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's hardly the point SPN when they are sucking every spare Euro out of the place to pay a debt that they can never pay and Rabbitte cliaming that they won't!

Orwell could not invent these fkn ******************************************s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would you want to make approvements to your house now, why add that extension, why build a conservatory? Not only will you paid to get the job done, but you'll have to pay extra tax for it it the long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN View Post
    Labour never allow common sense to come between them and their ideology.
    Oh if only that were true.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast