Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we appoint a 'Regulator' for Religions in Ireland

Default Should we appoint a 'Regulator' for Religions in Ireland

''Religion is the Opium of the people'' said Karl Marx.

Nobody can doubt the power of Religion. Its a force which has driven so many momentous events. All the way down through history. When its good it can be a force for good deeds and good behaviours. But when it goes bad, all hell breaks loose ; crusades, magdelene laundries, suicide bombers, genocide, censorship, terrorism and bad fashion choices. When a restaurant fails the hygiene standards it gets shut down. Why not have a zero to five star rating for religious businesses. Tell the public that a poorly starred church/mosque/temple/cult has been deemed to be dodgy and doesnt deserve financial contributions or even the time of day.

Currently we have regulators for the food industry, banking (allegedly), hotels, schools, airlines, taxi's etc. Why not religion ? What do you think ? Yes 'regulate it' for the common good , or no 'i am free to worship whatever looney i wish, its my God-given right'.

Opinions please. Keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
    Hate preacher Abu Qatada goes free as judge sparks outrage | The Sun |News|Politics
    Ireland's Magdalene laundries scandal must be laid to rest | Mary Raftery | Comment is free | The Guardian

Human Sacrifice Among the Maya
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The one thing that this country is missing is one additional quango ??
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Ramps

If the world keeps going the way it's going, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

simeongrimes

What's the guy who used to do the banks doing these days? Put him in charge and then in a few years we can wonder how the human sacrifices were allowed to get out of hand.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No way. Everything that should be illegal already is, and we have the police and the courts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stalin tried that - he called it a gulag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about a P.ie regulator?

I nominate Mary Queen of the Gael.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    ''Religion is the Opium of the people'' said Karl Marx.

Nobody can doubt the power of Religion. Its a force which has driven so many momentous events. All the way down through history. When its good it can be a force for good deeds and good behaviours. But when it goes bad, all hell breaks loose ; crusades, magdelene laundries, suicide bombers, genocide, censorship, terrorism and bad fashion choices. When a restaurant fails the hygiene standards it gets shut down. Why not have a zero to five star rating for religious businesses. Tell the public that a poorly starred church/mosque/temple/cult has been deemed to be dodgy and doesnt deserve financial contributions or even the time of day.

Currently we have regulators for the food industry, banking (allegedly), hotels, schools, airlines, taxi's etc. Why not religion ? What do you think ? Yes 'regulate it' for the common good , or no 'i am free to worship whatever looney i wish, its my God-given right'.

Opinions please. Keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
    Hate preacher Abu Qatada goes free as judge sparks outrage | The Sun |News|Politics
    Ireland's Magdalene laundries scandal must be laid to rest | Mary Raftery | Comment is free | The Guardian

Human Sacrifice Among the Maya
    I'm sure that you support the ideal of the division of Church and State, no? If so, wouldn't it work both ways, i.e. the State not interfering in Religious Affairs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    What about a P.ie regulator?

I nominate Mary Queen of the Gael.
    That would end badly.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. First we should address how the existing regulators in the entertainment industry allowed this to broadcast:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast