Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 141

Thread: Reproductive Rights, Men and Feminism

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,868
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Reproductive Rights, Men and Feminism

    With the current debate on abortion going on it's an ideal opportunity to take a look at another aspect of reproductive rights that is never discussed i.e. men's reproductive rights. With all the advances in medical technology and a half century of legislation/initiatives on 'equality' women now have the following choices:

    1. Abstinence from sex
    2. Contraception - a Google search shows up a wide range of pills, devices and medical procedures for women
    3. The Morning After Pill
    4. Abortion (let's not pretend this isn't an available option)
    5. Abandonment
    6. Adoption

    So a woman can decide at every step of the way whether she wants to get pregnant or not, if she wishes to continue to have the child or not and if she wishes to keep the child or not. Furthermore with medical advances she is no longer restricted by having to find a man or engage in sex in order to get pregnant. If she's married she can also decide to get pregnant by another man and her husband is automatically the legal father. She has almost full control, except in exceptional circumstances, over her reproductive choices.


    Conversely men's choices have barely changed over the last half century, they are:

    1. Abstinence from sex
    2. Contraception - condoms or medical procedures

    Basically a Man's choices end after sex, from that point forward his options are solely at the discretion of the woman. Some might argue that he can decide to abandon the child but this is not true, he still has a legal responsibility to pay for the child for the next 18+ years. So basically a man has full legal obligations but very little choice in the matter and deciding to have sex does not mean deciding to have a child.

    Now obviously men and women are never going to be equal in reproductive rights and I'm not arguing that they should be, I'm saying that men should have more choices than they currently have.

    1. The Male Pill:
    While the female pill has been developed over the last 50 years there has been almost no development in the male pill despite the medical technology to do so. It has been blocked at every stage by feminists and their political allies who are unwilling to give men any choice in reproduction. The following video shows what happened when the male pill was discussed at the World Population Congress in Budapest:





    The male pill would give men a lot more control over reproduction, most men don't like wearing condoms plus they're expensive, and most men don't want to go through a medical procedure. Instead by taking a pill a man can decide on his own whether he wants to have a child or not. If he has legal obligations for a child he should also have all available reproductive choices first. Furthermore with the debates on abortion and unwanted pregnancies surely every contraception should be available.

    2 Paper Abortions:
    This (badly named) proposal has been around the blogosphere for a while now. Basically it's the right for men to legally abandon their responsibility for fatherhood within a specific timeframe. Now before some people get up in arms about "deadbeat dads" let's think about the implications here. First off women already have the choice of abandonment or adoption with no financial repercussions as well as the right to exclude the father from the birth certificate and secondly, as I previously stated, having sex is not choosing to have a child. Having this option would lead to more responsible choices for both sexes.

    In conclusion it's time for a long overdue discussion on men's reproductive choices and responsibilities. Women have argued for decades that men need to take more responsibility in this area, I would argue that without real choices we can't have a a discussion on responsibility.
    Last edited by subic; 9th December 2012 at 02:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    "Reproductive Rights" the feel good way of saying abortion of unborn.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member White Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    7,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    WTF are "reproductive rights"?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The solution is obvious.

    The only sex that should be allowed is unprotected sex which is open to new life between one man and woman bound together by the Roman Catholic sacrament of marriage in the darkness of night without electric light with the woman lying on her back while her husband is in a dominant position of power over her just as the Church is subject to Christ.
    All single people must stay completely abstinent and abstain from masturbation on pain of DEATH!

  5. #5
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    You are 100% correct about the issue of the Pill giving women the power to ''accidentally'' forget to take it and the power to choose whether to make a baby or not. If they are so inclined to break a trust and bring an innocent child into a world with no stability they certainly have the power to do so.

    A working Male pill is overdue and would eliminate many excuses and blame given by both sexes.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Al Gebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    The solution is obvious.

    The only sex that should be allowed is unprotected sex which is open to new life between one man and woman bound together by the Roman Catholic sacrament of marriage in the darkness of night without electric light with the woman lying on her back while her husband is in a dominant position of power over her just as the Church is subject to Christ.
    All single people must stay completely abstinent and abstain from masturbation on pain of DEATH!
    Sounds reasonable enough.....

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Al Gebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    WTF are "reproductive rights"?
    The right to use a body for reproduction or not.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gebra View Post
    Sounds reasonable enough.....
    Did I mention the sex can only happen through a slit in a sheet?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subic View Post
    2 Paper Abortions:
    This (badly named) proposal has been around the blogosphere for a while now. Basically it's the right for men to legally abandon their responsibility for fatherhood within a specific timeframe. Now before some people get up in arms about "deadbeat dads" let's think about the implications here. First off women already have the choice of abandonment or adoption with no financial repercussions as well as the right to exclude the father from the birth certificate and secondly, as I previously stated, having sex is not choosing to have a child. Having this option would lead to more responsible choices for both sexes.
    How would granting the power to abdicate responsibility lead to people making more responsible choices?

    Why do you assume that the status quo should be altered to reduce the responsibilities of men rather than to increase the responsibilities of women?
    Repeal the 27th.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Al Gebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Did I mention the sex can only happen through a slit in a sheet?
    That's the one little niggling doubt I had about the system but that seals the deal for me.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •