Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Visiting Dublin as an ex-pat.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Visiting Dublin as an ex-pat.

My apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place.

I had to visit Dublin yesterday (Friday), the main focus being to arrange a passport for my son. Lots of other stuff intervened; updating insurance etc etc.

I was shocked with the place. I haven't been home in two years, so I guess I can see things in a different manner to those who watch a gradual decline.

Yesterday I was genuinely shocked and saddened to see the deterioration in places such as Dame Street and Grafton Street.

Forget the "For Sale" signs; the general air od degradation, the cheap and nasty music blaring from newsagents was enough in itself. I was looking for a copy of Private Eye to read over breakfast. It took over half an hour to find a newsagent which stocked it. Even newsagents on or around Grafton Street seemed to stock only the IT and the Indo.

Along with the celeb mags and Phoenix.

Above all that, there was an air of decay and dismay. The place seemed to be full of a fug of regret and disassociation from a better past. Forlorn, I guess, is the word. I noticed an expensively decorated icecream shop which had a butcher's apostrophe in its signage.

The whole experience was deeply depressing. I passed a shop on Dame Street which had a guy in jeans and a red jacket showing his "ripped" torso. It was shiny and I genuinely thought that he may have been wearing a plastic shell.

I really hesitated outside Kapp and Peterson's because I simply wanted to go in and say "Good God, you at least are the same as you've always been."

I know that there is an inclination amongst expats to decry the place when we come back, but I was genuinely shocked at the state of the place.

Genuinely shocked.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Patrick Street in Cork is depressing too. So many empty premises there, some have been empty for ages (including ones in prime locations on the street).

Private Eye is generally available in Easons and usually in Porters (if you have Porters in Dublin), but very few other places...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's wintertime and we've just had yet another austerity budget thrown at us. without wanting to sound arsey, what did you expect?
    i am crying, writing this.
    ----------------------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Waterford is becoming a desert town fast.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its the most depressing city in Europe this side of Bratislava. Always was.
    At least you missed the criminal gangs who've taken over and the lowifes who frequent the streets by the sound of it.
    I think you saw the best of it.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoichkov View Post
    it's wintertime and we've just had yet another austerity budget thrown at us. without wanting to sound arsey, what did you expect?
    You don't sound "arsey", which is a word I'll be using frequently from now. Arr I didn't expect much, but I expected more. I taxied all over the place and places such as Rathmines just seemed grubby and desolate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Private Eye not spotted in Dublin. How awful that such a British magazine full of exclusive British material is not being read by the populace of Dublin. When I lived in London a million years ago the same magazine along with New Statesman and was it Spectator were regulars on my reading list. I have been in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Bradford, Blackpool in last couple of years and yes a good guess, Dublin holds its own with them
    People demonise Fianna Fail and they are entitled to do so but same people are not capable of answering a few awkward questions themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post

Forget the "For Sale" signs; the general air od degradation, the cheap and nasty music blaring from newsagents was enough in itself. I was looking for a copy of Private Eye to read over breakfast. It took over half an hour to find a newsagent which stocked it. Even newsagents on or around Grafton Street seemed to stock only the IT and the Indo.

Along with the celeb mags and Phoenix.
    Is this meant to be a serious example of a city going to ******************************?

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Waterford is becoming a desert town fast.
    Dun Laoghaire likewise there must be over a dozen vacant premises in the Main Street -when the xmas is over and all the popups are gone it'll only need the tumbleweed.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast