Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get out your shovels people ..Varadkar wants us to repair your own potholes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Get out your shovels people ..Varadkar wants us to repair your own potholes

Residents may have to share cost of repairing roads – or grab a shovel - National News - Independent.ie

THE public may be asked to get out their shovels and wallets if they want their local road repaired.

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar says a new scheme will allow people to help share the cost of repairing local roads or do it themselves from next year.

Between 5m and 10m will be made available from the Government, with further funding to be sourced from the public.

He added it would allow minor works such as potholes to be repaired which might otherwise not be addressed.
    Mmmm ... So, why are we embarking on paying property tax if it looks like now we will have to fork out and pay for our own local road repairs? And do these repairs ourselves.

What about insurance if a DIY is not up to standard? Will we all have to now take out public liability insurance on the road and path outside our house?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are already running this scheme down in Roscommon....there local residents have to stump up 25% of the total costs of the repairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only for the fact there's Christmas songs on the radio, I'd of thought I'd fast forwarded to April 1st. Leo Vagrabkar and FG would take a wedding ring off a dead person at this stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish people are well and truly broken at this stage....Leo could probably get some of them to wipe the sh1t from his ass and make them pay for the pleasure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Only for the fact there's Christmas songs on the radio, I'd of thought I'd fast forwarded to April 1st. Leo Vagrabkar and FG would take a wedding ring off a dead person at this stage.
    Sure they're planning to make dead people's organs the property of the state unless you sign on the dotted line!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Don't the government have a duty of care to us, motor tax paying public, to ensure the safety of our roads. How do they know that the public will do a safe job?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Don't the government have a duty of care to us, motor tax paying public, to ensure the safety of our roads. How do they know that the public will do a safe job?
    Aside from that what happens if local communities cannot afford to stump up 25% of the total costs of repair? This kind of right winged policy is about government slowly abdicating responsibility from having to provide a whole range of traditional public services....nothing more, nothing less.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post

Well as Seanie Fitzpatrick said with some irony, "we are in a new paradigm now".

Best to just get on with it, and stir a revolution in time for the next election.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    They are already running this scheme down in Roscommon....there local residents have to stump up 25% of the total costs of the repairs.
    You beat me to it damus, and they think they might have a chance of a seat by lumping us in with East Galway.

stop whinging and pay your taxes fix them roads and be glad you have a dirt track , look at all the beautiful efficient services that your frugal politicians local and national provide you with .The state owns you so stop giving out , give them all your loot and put your shoulder to the wheel you know Enda , Eamo and Leo loves ya .

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast