Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: World Vegan Month

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default World Vegan Month

November is designated as World Vegan Month, with the first as World Vegan Day.

Vegan Ireland: The Vegan Society of Ireland organised and attended a series of events for the month. THIS is a review of those activities.

best wishes

RY
    For the most part we do not see first, and then define, we define first and then see. Walter Lippmann.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Genuine Question: Do Vegans get upset at the idea of wild animals eating other animals?

If so, why?
    If not, why are humans any different?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love my beef medium-rare and venison rare. Lovely!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Yates View Post

Vegan Ireland: The Vegan Society of Ireland organised and attended a series of events for the month. THIS is a review of those activities.

best wishes

RY
    Root of Star?

Did ye get banned?

Boggle

Good luck with it... not my thing but, hey, the more vegans there are the less demand for meat and the cheaper my fry-up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not a Vegan, just a veggi, but that's because I give human feelings to animals, as my mother used to yell at me when I refused to eat meat "animals don't have human feelings. The mother's lamb is not hanging herself in the shed because someone is eating her baby". Just made me worse.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I love my beef medium-rare and venison rare. Lovely!

Amen to that I had venison during the week, red in the centre, Yum!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Genuine Question: Do Vegans get upset at the idea of wild animals eating other animals?

If so, why?
    If not, why are humans any different?

There is a "transhumanist philosopher," David Pearce, who does get upset by that, yes - THIS is a podcast he did.

Most animal advocates, on the other hand, would differentiate between "moral agents" and "moral patients." This is what marks humans out as different on this issue - most of us (but not all by any means) are regarded as moral agents who have the ability to think rationally and ethically.

Furthermore, obligate carnivores must eat other animals, whereas humans are most likely to be natural herbivores - see HERE - although we are also regarded as "cultural omnivores."

Cognitive ethologists are discovering that other animals have some forms of morality at work in their societies. I guess that is an example of Darwin's idea that human differ from other animals in degree and not in kind.

best

RY
    For the most part we do not see first, and then define, we define first and then see. Walter Lippmann.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Yates View Post
    Checks calendar, checks comment post date...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
    I'm not a Vegan, just a veggi, but that's because I give human feelings to animals, as my mother used to yell at me when I refused to eat meat "animals don't have human feelings. The mother's lamb is not hanging herself in the shed because someone is eating her baby". Just made me worse.

Research is suggesting that nonhuman mothers do feel the loss of their offspring. Cows in particular are thought to have a very strong bond with their children.

Of course, this is a case by case thing involving individuals. Some humans seem to care nothing for their children.

best

RY

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast