Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: We are all Alliance supporters today?

Johnny Boy

Default We are all Alliance supporters today?

For everyone who cares about democracy; who wants an end to sectarian posing and mind games; an end to mindless thuggery; an end to immature reactions to complicated issues; an end to whataboutery; wants no more from polititians who condemn violence with empty words. For those people, the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland, from whatever political or religious background, we are all Alliance supporters today.
    I transcribed that from the conclusion of today's BelTel editorial, so no link. I feel it is a good summary of my opinion of Alliance at this minute. I've never warmed to them in the past, but they have proved to be genuinely impartial this week, and I'm genuinely impressed.
    How many share my view?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My father voted Alliance in 1979. It was the first time I'd even queried the loyalist story I'd heard all my life. I'm for ever in his debt for opening my eyes.
    This week they matched conciliatory words with actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The DUPers are certainly all Alliance suporters today.
    Come the next election it will be brutal !
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Politics.ie Member oxterSniffer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course Johnny Boy supports the pathetic party which allows Republican agendas to be pushed bit-by-bit through the back door!
    Ulaidh Go Bragh!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxterSniffer View Post
    Of course Johnny Boy supports the pathetic party which allows Republican agendas to be pushed bit-by-bit through the back door!

Didn't they just dothe right thing? at the loss of their only MP btw. That's guts in my eyes.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There would be a lot more unionist minded people in the alliance party than there would be nationalist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No Alliance tried to broker a compromise. A hard concept for loyalists but one you'd better get used too.
    What is pathetic is the way loyalist hard men have threatened female Alliance politicians. Brave boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    Didn't they just dothe right thing? at the loss of their only MP btw. That's guts in my eyes.
    Appeasing people who reneged on an agreement which they signed to respect British sovereignty is not "the right thing". Of course, considering you are a Republican, I doubt you will admit that.
    Ulaidh Go Bragh!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Appeasing people who reneged on an agreement which they signed to respect British sovereignty is not "the right thing". Of course, considering you are a Republican, I doubt you will admit that.
    For goodness sake. British sovereignty is all over and enshrined in the city hall. Turn a corridor corner ffs. Alliance were brave. I have, in here, Referred to them in their original guise, ie. the alternate unionist party. Well far play to them they broke that. Credit were its due.
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    No Alliance tried to broker a compromise. A hard concept for loyalists but one you'd better get used too.
    What is pathetic is the way loyalist hard men have threatened female Alliance politicians. Brave boys
    I don't support threats.

You are though being extremely dishonest to pretend that most of the compromises during the Appeasement Process have came from anywhere than overwhelmingly from the Unionist/Loyalist side. This is the problem with the "Alliance" party: they want to keep allowing Republicans to breach their agreed commitments.
    Ulaidh Go Bragh!

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast