Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outrage as older civil servants deny young generation prop tax relief on stamp duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland the Old Sow eats her Farrow: Thornhill Report

Government advised not to exempt those who paid hefty stamp duty - News, The Budget - Independent.ie

Yes I know Gerhard has started a thread on the substantive issue of the property tax.

This thread is different and concerns the transparency of the Thornhilll report and the fact that it was not published for discussion before the budget.

I first got suspicious of "independent reports" back in October 2007 when one such recommended a 17% pay hike for then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

At least that one was published before any action was taken.

The failure of the report to rectify the injustice of stamp duty - which was only ever intended to apply to really expensive houses at the top of the range (but thresholds were let stay static to bring in more and more of us into the net until the vast majority paid it) - and the fact that many are still repaying the loans we took out for it is frankly nauseating.

So is the fact that those who drafted it - mostly civil servants - are beneficiaries of the Croke Park agreement which has also been rubber stamped by the inside left establishment that now runs Ireland in its own interests.

These older civil servants probably never paid stamp duty or paid it when it was a relatively small burden. And their houses are unlikely to be negative equity. Their huge pensions (133k for retiring head of gov't department like Don Thornhill) are being protected and to pay for it new taxes are brought in.

Neither anyone from the real private sector and the new generation of young families were represented on the report: Only public sector Croke Park beneficiaries.

That is the issue this thread wishes to debate. For substantive discussion of the property tax itself, see Gerhard Dengler's thread.
    Last edited by Big Brother; 7th December 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Politics.ie Member diaspora-mick's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Outrage as older civil servants deny young generation prop tax relief on stamp duty"

At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, where exactly has this "outrage" been manifesting itself (apart from in the OP) ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another example of intra generational hoarding of wealth I'm afraid.

Politics.ie Member diaspora-mick's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Druidess View Post
    Another example of intra generational hoarding of wealth I'm afraid.
    Hmmm ... that sounds more like resignation than outrage to me ...

C'mon give me some outrage ... I want to see some outrage ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diaspora-mick View Post

you are correct, it is indeed resignation.

I am resigned to the fact that the standard of living available to the generation preceding me is unavailable to most of my peers (ridiculous property prices, child care, decrease in pay and conditions etc) and that is why I am one of the Irish diaspora.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    Government advised not to exempt those who paid hefty stamp duty - News, The Budget - Independent.ie

Yes I know Gerhard has started a thread on the substantive issue of the property tax.

This thread is different and concerns the transparency of the Thornhilll report and the fact that it was not published for discussion before the budget.

I first got suspicious of "independent reports" back in October 2007 when one such recommended a 17% pay hike for then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

At least that one was published before any action was taken.

The failure of the report to rectify the injustice of stamp duty - which was only ever intended to apply to really expensive houses at the top of the range (but thresholds were let stay static to bring in more and more of us into the net until the vast majority paid it) - and the fact that many are still repaying the loans we took out for it is frankly nauseating.

So is the fact that those who drafted it - mostly civil servants - are beneficiaries of the Croke Park agreement which has also been rubber stamped by the inside left establishment that now runs Ireland in its own interests.

These older civil servants probably never paid stamp duty or paid it when it was a relatively small burden. And their houses are unlikely to be negative equity. Their huge pensions (133k for retiring head of gov't department like Don Thornhill) are being protected and to pay for it new taxes are brought in.

Neither anyone from the real private sector and the new generation of young families were represented on the report: Only public sector Croke Park beneficiaries.

That is the issue this thread wishes to debate. For substantive discussion of the property tax itself, see Gerhard Dengler's thread.

This would not be by any chance another anti-CPA, anti-civil service thread masquerading as something else, would it?.....

So the report was "rubber stamped by the inside left establishment"....God, there must have been a long queue for the rubber-stamping machines in that case...

And it was drafted "mostly by civil servants" who are "unlikely to be in negative equity". Bit of a wild guess there I'd say, unless you know them all and their boom-time spending habits personally.....

Maybe some of the "new generation of young families" you are weeping for are ALSO protected by the dreaded Croke Park deal, and are "beneficiaries" of it...

So no doubt you will be happy about that little nugget of good news anyway...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diaspora-mick View Post

OK?
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    TMaybe some of the "new generation of young families" you are weeping for are ALSO protected by the dreaded Croke Park deal, and are "beneficiaries" of it...

Actually they've been screwed by the older generation too.

New entrants to the PS will earn 30% less than the older generation that was partly responsible for all the policy failures.

So thanks to our system of public administration those that were at the helm when everythingn went wrong are protected while those they shafted pick up the price tab.

It's called social partnership....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    Actually they've been screwed by the older generation too.

New entrants to the PS will earn 30% less than the older generation that was partly responsible for all the policy failures.

So thanks to our system of public administration those that were at the helm when everythingn went wrong are protected while those they shafted pick up the price tab.

It's called social partnership....

Another manufactured 'outrage'. Another bilious thread. Ho hum.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

These higher paid public servants have f***** up this country.

Absolutely clueless and were able to get Lendahand to reverse their salary cuts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast