Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 216 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Tax :

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Property Tax :

It appears that the Property Tax offensive is being ramped up.

The Property Tax must be paid by all property owners before the end of May 2013.

Revenue will write to every home owner and home owners will be required to submit a return (file) and a payment (pay) to Revenue by the end of May 2013.

Revenue have the power to obtain details of home ownership from utility companies and banks, according to the blurb.

Property owners who fail to file and pay will have 8% interest applied to the amount owed by Revenue.
    Revenue will attach the tax and interest to the property and the amount owed will remain with the property until the amount owed is paid.

Even where the property is sold or transferred the amount owed will exist until the amount is settled.

Some people will pay this tax and some people won't/can't pay this tax.

Die Einkünfte kommen!
    Last edited by gerhard dengler; 7th December 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will be interesting. I know one or two who are steadfastly against paying and wonder if their nerve will hold. I'll be paying although it is disgusting how little I'll get in return considering we pay for virtually all our services separately anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALHERO View Post
    It will be interesting. I know one or two who are steadfastly against paying and wonder if their nerve will hold. I'll be paying although it is disgusting how little I'll get in return considering we pay for virtually all our services separately anyways.
    Apparently they're going to audit defaulters...

Property tax sting – Revenue will probe evaders' finances - News, The Budget - Independent.ie

but while they're making an example of little-guys to prove a political point, who is going to audit the people that revenue would have otherwise been auditing? Are we going to have large-scale tax-evaders slip through the net in order to facilitate political face-saving?

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the audit issue.

Revenue have access to peoples tax returns and they can access bank accounts to see how much cash is flowing through peoples bank accounts.

What is an new development is that Revenue appear to be empowered to access utility companies records for example, in order to try to collect this tax and to attach to the property a lien in the case of payment default.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by still-life View Post

Property tax sting – Revenue will probe evaders' finances - News, The Budget - Independent.ie

but while they're making an example of little-guys to prove a political point, who is going to audit the people that revenue would have otherwise been auditing? Are we going to have large-scale tax-evaders slip through the net in order to facilitate political face-saving?
    If only 10,000 people dodge the property tax - it will probably tie up the Revenue for half the year.

The troika will not be amused
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by still-life View Post

That's just more fearmongering from that disgusting ginger gutter sycophantic reporter. He's one of the most vile individuals in the country.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonderful. This will make housing even cheaper.

I am looking forward to Brian Hayes spending the next twelve months talking about hitting the bottom of the bottom in the housing market, to be completely flummoxed all along the way.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the audit issue.

Revenue have access to peoples tax returns and they can access bank accounts to see how much cash is flowing through peoples bank accounts.

What is an new development is that Revenue appear to be empowered to access utility companies records for example, in order to try to collect this tax and to attach to the property a lien in the case of payment default.
    Am I missing something in all of this.. where on ones tax returns do you state whether you are a homeowner or not ?

How does Revenue know you "own" the address you live in ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALHERO View Post
    Some Local hero you are, runs when scared!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good.
    A much needed stable tax but will still go nowhere to cover the amount spent on local services.
    When this tax is decided at local level there might be something for them councillers to do other then attending funerals and speeding up passport applications.

Page 1 of 216 123451151101 ... LastLast