Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive tax increases,yet Irish welfare state fails to provide safe homeless shelters

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Massive tax increases,yet Irish welfare state fails to provide safe homeless shelters

Newstalk's on location reporter Henry McKean interviewed many homeless Dublin people yesterday. Common complaints were the scarcity of shelters and the lack of physical safety in shelters that force many homeless to prefer rough sleeping in the streets. As some of them pointed out,anyone could end up homeless due to physical and mental illness,addictions, lack of friends and relatives, and unemployment.

Given the government's massive tax increases,the Irish welfare state could easily prioritise good quality shelters for the homeless but it seems indifferent to their suffering or hopelessly inept. For example,the lack of physical safety in shelters could be dealt with by installing night vision cameras in the dormitories to identify perpetrators of criminal acts.Also,security could be provided by a security guard watching over dormitorys during 8 sleeping hours at a cost of say 15 an hour, 120 a night.

Given the constant threat to the health of the homeless,some US cities find it saves a lot of money to house them in cheap apartments compared to the costs of their hospitalisations from homelessness. Some joined up thinking is needed between the Irish councils, Social Welfare and the HSE on this issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Some joined up thinking is needed between the Irish councils, social welfare and the HSE on this issue" - Patslatt

Good post - Some joined up thinking is needed between the irish councils, social welfare, the HSE and NAMA on this issue, They have thousands of properties just rotting away. It's an absolute disgrace.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lara2 View Post
    "Some joined up thinking is needed between the Irish councils, social welfare and the HSE on this issue" - Patslatt

Good post - Some joined up thinking is needed between the irish councils, social welfare, the HSE and NAMA on this issue, They have thousands of properties just rotting away. It's an absolute disgrace.
    I referred to it as zombie NAMA on its creation. To give credit where credit is due,it is doing some good things but it needs to dispose of properties a lot faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Some joined up thinking is needed between the Irish councils, Social Welfare and the HSE on this issue.
    I totally agree, I cannot even imagine what it must be like to sleep outdoors in this weather plus the homeless are a target for the skanger element. However I think we will be waiting a long long time for government departments to use joined up thinking.

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of those shelters are run by third parties are they not? Focus, Simon and the Salvation Army?
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just don't understand why NAMA can't release one or several of its properties for the homeless in Dublin / main cities of Ireland. The homeless situation was highlighted again in the news last week- every hostel was full and people were being turned away. Women in crisis are also being turned away from refuge shelters because there aren't enough of them either.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    Most of those shelters are run by third parties are they not? Focus, Simon and the Salvation Army?
    Presumably they get charity grants from government.But the primary responsibility for the homeless is that of our rich welfare state. The grant aid needs to be sufficient to provide physical security in dormitories,the key problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Presumably they get charity grants from government.But the primary responsibility for the homeless is that of our rich welfare state. The grant aid needs to be sufficient to provide physical security in dormitories,the key problem.
    You do know the state is still running a massive deficit, right? At that I do agree more could be done on this, hopefully without spending more money that we don't have.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is my point. How do we know the grant aid is not sufficient? Maybe the fault lies with the service provider.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    That is my point. How do we know the grant aid is not sufficient? Maybe the fault lies with the service provider.
    Lots of charities could replace inefficient providers. How hard is it to run what is essentially a high security B & B? Maybe the public servants providing the grant aid are not demanding enough,preferring what for them may be a comfortable long term relationship. Ultimate responsibility rests with the minister of social welfare and the government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast