Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What is SF's next step in the greening of the six counties ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is SF's next step in the greening of the six counties ??

With the success of getting the UJ from outside Belfast City Council to only a few days a year , what is the next step SF can now take to further the greening of the six counties ? A poster on another thread has wondered about renaming streets such as Victoria Avenue becoming Parnell Street and Cromwell Street becoming O'Connell Street etc which I think would be an excellent idea for SF. The SDLP would have to support them, and Alliance would have to do as they did with the UJ on city hall. Anyone agree or have they more ideas ?
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strange - most Nationalists are going Orange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few bags of good fertiliser might green the place up, but I'd be worried other uses might be found for them.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by And So I Said View Post
    Strange - most Nationalists are going Orange.
    Yep, plenty of them especially this week with attempts to attack Catholic churches, rioting by unionist mobs in Belfast and Carrickfergus
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

longshortgrass

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Yep, plenty of them especially this week with attempts to attack Catholic churches, rioting by unionist mobs in Belfast and Carrickfergus
    Maybe SF Gov. should stop being lapdogs for Tory Austerity....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    With the success of getting the UJ from outside Belfast City Council to only a few days a year , what is the next step SF can now take to further the greening of the six counties ? A poster on another thread has wondered about renaming streets such as Victoria Avenue becoming Parnell Street and Cromwell Street becoming O'Connell Street etc which I think would be an excellent idea for SF. The SDLP would have to support them, and Alliance would have to do as they did with the UJ on city hall. Anyone agree or have they more ideas ?
    I think that wouldn't be very consistent given that O'Connell and Parnell were constitutional reformers rather than independentists. It would make more sense for Tone street or Emmet avenue but I don't think SF would really bother, they've got as much support in the 6 as the want/could get and now they're focusing on the 26. That's pretty much what the winding down of the war was all about, getting seats in the south.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yup, it'll only be flown 19 days a year now.
    Why do you mention only SF, when both the SDLP and Alliance also voted?
    Next month Nationalist Derry will be U.K City of Culture.
    Mc Guinness literally jumped for joy on hearing the news.
    Greening indeed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longshortgrass View Post
    Maybe SF Gov. should stop being lapdogs for Tory Austerity....
    Although fair dues to Mary Lou for slamming Rabbitte over the cuts to carers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this kind of thing actually help the cause of an united Ireland? Or does it only serve to antagonize the unionist community? Hardly endears them to the idea of an united Ireland. Surely if the six counties were to become part of the republic we would want it to be inclusive of all traditions, no?

I'm just posing the question. What is the utility of this? Is it not counterproductive?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I think it would have been a better compromise to fly both the Union Flag and Tricolour over Belfast City Hall. It would have been more inclusive and would have more likely not to have been misinterpreted as an attack on the unionist identity.

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast