Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickey Mac TD backs Shorthall on Clare FM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mickey Mac TD backs Shorthall on Clare FM

I heard Michael McNamara TD on Clare FM this morning. John Cooke asked him if he agreed with Roisín Shorthall that the tax on lump sum pensions payments could have been higher and maybe Kenny and Gilmore were loath to so do because they will shortly be receiving same. He agreed. Also he sounded very iffy on whether he would vote or not with the government. He is a recent recruit to Labour so could he be thinking of a swift jump to Shorthall and the others? He said like a lot of Labour TDs I have heard that he is going to lobby for changes. If he jumps it will continue the disastrous tradition of successful Labour public representatives going independent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would not surprise me if he jumps overboard soon. He is coming under severe strain in Clare. The Garda station closures, which disproportionately hit Clare and Galway, will also greatly add to his woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    It would not surprise me if he jumps overboard soon. He is coming under severe strain in Clare. The Garda station closures, which disproportionately hit Clare and Galway, will also greatly add to his woes.
    There is no Labour base in Clare, he simply got in based on dissatisfaction with FF. Being associated with Labour has turned into a liability for rural TDs where there is no Labour support base. They won't want to go down on the Good Ship Gilmore so they may jump ship prior to the election.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    I heard Michael McNamara TD on Clare FM this morning. John Cooke asked him if he agreed with Roisín Shorthall that the tax on lump sum pensions payments could have been higher and maybe Kenny and Gilmore were loath to so do because they will shortly be receiving same. He agreed. Also he sounded very iffy on whether he would vote or not with the government. He is a recent recruit to Labour so could he be thinking of a swift jump to Shorthall and the others? He said like a lot of Labour TDs I have heard that he is going to lobby for changes. If he jumps it will continue the disastrous tradition of successful Labour public representatives going independent.
    It doesn't get any more puerile than that.

Is there any financial policy whatsoever that could be introduced or not introduced that couldn't conceviably benefit Kenny and Gilmore in some way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    There is no Labour base in Clare, he simply got in based on dissatisfaction with FF. Being associated with Labour has turned into a liability for rural TDs where there is no Labour support base. They won't want to go down on the Good Ship Gilmore so they may jump ship prior to the election.
    That and his own personal image has taken a pounding as of late:
    Or You Can Do It This Way | Broadsheet.ie

I doubt jumping ship would be enough to save him in the county. At the time of writing it appears the 4th seat will be a toss up between FG, FF and A.N.Other Independent that may come out of the woodwork.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How Labour can support these cuts is amazing. Most low paid families will be hardest hit. Child ben- car tax- property tax-school allowance. If they take a drink or smoke that is their choice, but all others are not optional. Water charges are on the way. This time next year we will face the same again. So people will have to act now or face disaster over the next two years alone. People now know that if one is on low pay, Labour will not defend you, alas they will screw you.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He should join Real Labour.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McNamara is right though. Why were the tax changes to high-end pensions delayed for a year?

This has all the hall-marks of senior civil servants delaying a measure that impacts them directly. It worked a few years ago with benefit in kind on free car-parking, and this looks like another try-on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    He may be genuine or else angling for some additional appointment to boards etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    He should join Real Labour.
    Doesn't Cristiano Ronaldo play for them?
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast