Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Gawd...it's Embarrassing. Government Pledges €250k to help storm victims in US.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Oh Gawd...it's Embarrassing. Government Pledges €250k to help storm victims in US.

Yep, you heard right.

Gilmore has pledged €250,000 to help storm victims in the US after hurricane Sandy.
    He informed Secretary Clinton today at the OSCE summit in Dublin.
    Separately, the Department of Foreign Affairs is to make a quarter of a million euro available to Irish communities in the United States hit by Storm Sandy.
    It was discussed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mr Gilmore during talks on the fringe of the OSCE meeting.
    Foreign ministers attend OSCE summit in Dublin - RTΙ News

This is just down-right embarrassing. Remember the US is hoping to save $560 Billion dollars in this funding cliff through cuts savings and taxes.
    250k is just a token amount which should be looked at in embarrassment. It would save face not to give anything at all. In fact, it draws attention to our problems that that is all we can dig out.

A community centre for victims which would not cost much more should be built by the government and at least you will have a tangible structure and service at the end. 250k in cash will blow away in the wind.
    Last edited by ruserious; 6th December 2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't seem too tiny to me
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    Please...it will hardly rebuild one house. Look at the devastation over there.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That ************************************ Gilmore shouldn't be wasting our tax money like that.

Out of touch ************************************************
    Beware of imposter Miss Piggy's on P.ie. There is only one Miss Piggy on P.ie. The others can FROG OFF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And if the shoe was on the other foot you would say - no thanks I couldn't possibly?

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Please...it will hardly rebuild one house. Look at the devastation over there.
    It will be put to good use - I'm not sure how much you'd like us to send? I do believe we should always give to worthy causes - but in line with our own pressing issues.
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    It's not - thats two years salary for him and almost three years for the job he got his missus in the dept of education.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yep, you heard right.

Gilmore has pledged €250,000 to help storm victims in the US after hurricane Sandy.

This is just down-right embarrassing. Remember the US is hoping to save $560 Billion dollars in this funding cliff through cuts savings and taxes.
    250k is just a token amount which should be looked at in embarrassment. It would save face not to give anything at all. In fact, it draws attention to our problems that that is all we can dig out.
    There's something embarrassing here rus, but it isn't the donation.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, you heard right.

It's tokenism and considering our position I'd say it's fine.

There are complaints about charity budgets, this is an acknowledgement that charity should begin at home.
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Better to give nothing than an embarrassingly small amount.
    In August 2012 Hamas MP and Deputy Speaker Ahmad Bahr appeared on Hamas' Al-Aqsa TV and demanded all Muslims to annihilate the Jews.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast