Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vehicle registration format - anyone know the cost?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New vehicle registration format - anyone know the cost?

The ridiculous step to change the two digit code for year of registration is a real insight into how this country is run by and for vested interests.

At a time of crisis, when people can hardly afford food we're going to make changes to accommodate the SIMI members sell a few more cars...and there was I think the government and public service had important things to worry about.

Does anyone have a clue how much this will cost to implement? Changes to the motor tax system, testing, changes to Gardai systems and forms across the board, I would be surprised if a change like this was implemented for less than 1m, but that doesn't seem to matter as long as the vested interests are server I suppose.
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So it's a 3 digit code for the half year and everything else is the same.
    Why is this going to cost much?
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will this require an upgrade of the Garda ANPR system to recognise the new plates?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    The ridiculous step to change the two digit code for year of registration is a real insight into how this country is run by and for vested interests.

At a time of crisis, when people can hardly afford food we're going to make changes to accommodate the SIMI members sell a few more cars...and there was I think the government and public service had important things to worry about.

Does anyone have a clue how much this will cost to implement? Changes to the motor tax system, testing, changes to Gardai systems and forms across the board, I would be surprised if a change like this was implemented for less than €1m, but that doesn't seem to matter as long as the vested interests are server I suppose.
    Jaysus, I wish you were a client of mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Will this require an upgrade of the Garda ANPR system to recognise the new plates?
    I doubt it, they already have to take non-Irish numbers into account.
    And if they have an algorithm for reading the year of registration from the first 2 digits, that will still work.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are they going to standardise the typeface/font on the new plates? The present system allows any font you like unlike every other European country. Looks messy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's a bit of a half baked solution which just copies the UK in usual slavish fashion. If the problem is everyone buying their cars at the beginning of the year, then just take the year off the number plates altogether (like every other country in Europe). There is actually no need for people to parade the age of their car to all and sundry (except maybe to create demand for new cars).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    Jaysus, I wish you were a client of mine.
    If we could target those kind of targets for our export market our economy would be in great health in a few years.

Sheep Shearers often refer to a sheep having the wool "well out on them" which means that the new wool has started to grow and the shears cuts through it more easily than the old tougher wool.

Yes the wool is well out on Original Poster all right!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    I doubt it, they already have to take non-Irish numbers into account.
    And if they have an algorithm for reading the year of registration from the first 2 digits, that will still work.
    I very much doubt it.
    Isn't that why having a non standard number plate in the UK can land you in deep do-do?
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    I think it's a bit of a half baked solution which just copies the UK in usual slavish fashion. If the problem is everyone buying their cars at the beginning of the year, then just take the year off the number plates altogether (like every other country in Europe). There is actually no need for people to parade the age of their car to all and sundry (except maybe to create demand for new cars).
    do they take the month car is bought into account on resale price in europe?
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast