Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REDC Poll: FF most conservative, Labour most liberal - on abortion

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default REDC Poll: FF most conservative, Labour most liberal - on abortion

A detailed breakdown of the REDC poll by party voter alignment in the 2011 election throws up some fascinating insight into the relative conservatism or liberalism of the major Irish political parties.

Overall, the most conservative in its data was not Fine Gael but Fianna Fáil - which is a surprise. Only 23% of people who voted Fianna Fáil in the last election agreed with the proposition which provided for "A constitutional amendment to legally allow for abortion in ANY case where a woman requests it" - in other words abortion on demand.

28% of Fine Gaelers agreed with the proposition, along with 39% of people who voted for Sinn Féin and independents, and 44% of Labour.

On a somewhat more restrictive form of abortion, but still more liberal than provided for in the X case, namely "A constitutional amendment to extend the right abortion to all cases where the health of mother is seriously threatened and also in cases of rape" - in other words a right to abortion on health and rape grounds and not just on grounds of a threat to life, Fianna Fáil was also the most conservative party with 79% support for the proposition. Fine Gael had 80%. Labour had 86% while surprisingly Sinn Féin at 88% had most support for the proposition.

On support for legislating for the X case (that is, including suicide), Sinn Féin showed least support at 78%, Fine Gael showed with 87%, then Fianna Fáil with 89% and Labour at 93%.

Finally, when measured on the basis of support for legislating for the X Case minus suicide, Labour was lowest at 60%, then Fine Gael at 63%, Sinn Féin at 65% and Fianna Fáil at 70%.

Overall, it shows that Labour voters as of 2011 back the most liberal option on abortion, abortion on demand. Fianna Fáil support overall leans towards the most restrictive form of abortion law (i.e., what could be called 'X minus' - meaning the X case without suicide) Fine Gael and Sinn Féin seem to be somewhat in the middle, with Sinn Fein more leaning towards what could be called 'X plus' (The X case plus access to abortion on health and rape grounds).

Attitudes also reflect age (with the younger the person the more pro-choice they are) and geography.

Overall, though, the parties are all reasonably similar in their attitudes, with certainly Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Sinn Féin not too dissimilar. Labour of the measurable parties (obviously the ULA and Greens are too small to be measurable, as they would be such a small percentage of the sample that the marginal of error would be colossal and the stats effectively worthless) is clearly the most liberal.

http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/up...ll-Report1.pdf

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So this is Fine Gael's new "duck and cover strategy": Point and distract?

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    So this is Fine Gael's new "duck and cover strategy": Point and distract?

Regards...jmcc
    WTF are you on about?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    WTF are you on about?
    Well Fine Gael needs someone to blame if the whole abortion legislation thing goes a bit pear shaped. Thus the conservatives in FG can claim that FF is more conservative but the hippies in the Labour Party made them legislate.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Fine Gael needs someone to blame if the whole abortion legislation thing goes a bit pear shaped. Thus the conservatives in FG can claim that FF is more conservative but the hippies in the Labour Party made them legislate.

Regards...jmcc
    No. It is called 'reading the REDC data and posting a thread on it.' I was surprised to see FF as the most conservative, BTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. It is called 'reading the REDC data and posting a thread on it.' I was surprised to see FF as the most conservative, BTW.
    FF left mainly with rural, hence conservative, vote

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    FF left mainly with rural, hence conservative, vote

cYp
    True. It shows how far the party moved from its previous broadbased catch-all support to becoming the party of elderly conservative rural dwellers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have a vote so.....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regards...jmcc
    Exactly the difference between the FF figure and the FG figure says it all, very little difference.....and the reality is in many more ways than this poll too....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Forgive me but I've become rather cynical when I see such things these days. It would also have been a potential rogue poll a lot of the FF vote was in transit with people who had voted FF previously moving to vote for other parties. Thus some of Labour's liberal vote might actually have been an urban vote that had moved from FF.

Regards...jmcc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast