Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does competition between same-issue charity organisations dilute the overall message?

Default Does competition between same-issue charity organisations dilute the overall message?

Listen to any radio station at this time of year and you will hear a plethora of ads extolling the reasons why donations should be made to a particular group that often strives towards the the same goals as another. Charity organisation branding and marketing seem to have become so important that the reason for existence can become secondary. For me, when I hear the word "homeless", I automatically think of the organisation I have done some work for. It is their name that I think of, not necessarily the issue. Please don't get me wrong, it's not that I give pre-eminence to the organisation over the relevant cause, but the whole point is branding is that one group must gain ground.

While there may be some obvious reasons as to why two or more groups exist to address the same cause (religious vs. secular, rural vs. urban, RC vs. non-Catholic, established vs. newer, etc.), is it not the cause far more important? For the purpose of this thread, I offer the example of homelessness here but there are so many: cancer supports, animal welfare, addiction counselling and aid for the developing world are but many others.

For example, IndexIreland: society_and_politics/charities lists many of the current charity organisations operating In Ireland presently, albeit in alphabetical order.

As individual donors, we can only support do many charities. Therefore, is there not a case for the amalgamation of certain charities? They have a limited pot to draw from, so surely the relevant cause deserves the donation and not the organisation.
    "Holding it together with pilates and gin."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here in Midleton the Lion's club are on a food drive for the vunerable! StVdePaul are having having a food drive in schools for the vunerable, it would seem that the vunerable will be eaten better than most this Christmas! How they cannot combine and be one is beyond me, there is only so much food people can donate.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Here in Midleton the Lion's club are on a food drive for the vunerable! StVdePaul are having having a food drive in schools for the vunerable, it would seem that the vunerable will be eaten better than most this Christmas! How they cannot combine and be one is beyond me, there is only so much food people can donate.
    Thank you, tigerben.

My point is not (as you seem to know) one-up-man-ship in any form, but rather the fact that all charities, realistically, can only expect to receive so such from a limited pool of people.

I obviously need to work on my thread titles.

A touch Bono-esque, maybe?

Are we there yet , are we there yet...camel ..have we taken in enough to cover our huge advertising contract and admin costs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hell will freeze over before charities amalgamate or rationalise.
    The overseas development aid charities are fiercely competitive and the fact that some are more competent in some sectors than others or more connected geographically than others has never lessened their claims or appeals for whatever is most likely to generate most funds.
    Many of the overseas aid charities struggled to spend the largesse available for the great tsunami disaster and only one MSF called time on fundraising when they declared "enough already".
    With little transparency and accountability in the spending on overseas aid, the sector charities have little need for change so long as the Irish public prefer to trust their well-meaning intent than ask the "value for money" questions necessary.
    The government is no longer offering to regulate charities so the free-for-all is likely to continue with the organisations always more important than their raison d'etre.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicist View Post
    The overseas development aid charities are fiercely competitive and the fact that some are more competent in some sectors than others or more connected geographically than others has never lessened their claims or appeals for whatever is most likely to generate most funds.
    Many of the overseas aid charities struggled to spend the largesse available for the great tsunami disaster and only one MSF called time on fundraising when they declared "enough already".
    With little transparency and accountability in the spending on overseas aid, the sector charities have little need for change so long as the Irish public prefer to trust their well-meaning intent than ask the "value for money" questions necessary.
    The government is no longer offering to regulate charities so the free-for-all is likely to continue with the organisations always more important than their raison d'etre.
    Couldn't agree more. Heard Shane Byrne on radio one day say there were 28 charities on the ground in Haiti when he was there. That means there are 28 different sets of overheads to be met before a red cent gets to the poor victims of hurricanes and earthquakes. Even the slow at math should be able to see that one for what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As well as competing you'll find amounts going back and forth between 3rd world charities and paid for by "Irish Aid".

http://www.irishaid.gov.ie/uploads/2...l%20Report.pdf

You'll have to go to page 70 to find the cost, €657m borrowed in 2011 so a bankrupt country could pretend to be a "player" in the aid game.
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Quote Originally Posted by de knowledge economy View Post
    Are we there yet , are we there yet...camel ..have we taken in enough to cover our huge advertising contract and admin costs
    Great point. All you have to do is be accosted by a chugger to question how much of each individual donation is directed to the actual issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicist View Post
    There certainly does seem to be a culture of presence/action superseding effectiveness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast