Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: €1bn overspend on welfare and health already...what was the point of today ?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member nonpartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default €1bn overspend on welfare and health already...what was the point of today ?

    Extra €1bn for two departments - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012


    Either we have become a socialist state and nobody told the majority of us or spending is completely out of control....

    What is the point of creaming the rest of us, stealing our property, pensions etc. to prop up a system that simply cannot be sustained.

    What were fg put there to do, sort this out......why are we still persisting with the fantasy ?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Forget about the poor and ill - what about the €3,100,000,000 Anglo promissory note payment in March? (Or the massive amount paid in interest on the national(ised) debt)

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member nonpartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Forget about the poor and ill - what about the €3,100,000,000 Anglo promissory note payment in March? (Or the massive amount paid in interest on the national(ised) debt)
    At the moment we are borrowing the money to pay the debts/PN, if we walked away from that, 40% of our entire remaining tax take is going on welfare......do you see a problem with that ?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There's too large a bloc of people in this country who take and don't contribute, so they have the ability to get a Labour party (or variant) into power who can prevent proper reform.

    FG & FF have a large and vocal minority of tax and spend junkies also who prevent progress, even though many of their most senior people know what the reality is and how unfair the current situation is.

    This was the same situation in the 80s and it lead to the formation of the PDs. Unfortunately I don't know who could fill the Dessie O'Malley role these days.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Irrespective of whether you are left or right wing economically, poor financial control is to be dismayed of ... the situation is truly shocking

    At least in SW some of it is down to unpredictability (more claimants) , but the year on year lack of financial control in Health shows a serious problem.

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Tea Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    There's too large a bloc of people in this country who take and don't contribute, so they have the ability to get a Labour party (or variant) into power who can prevent proper reform.

    FG & FF have a large and vocal minority of tax and spend junkies also who prevent progress, even though many of their most senior people know what the reality is and how unfair the current situation is.

    This was the same situation in the 80s and it lead to the formation of the PDs. Unfortunately I don't know who could fill the Dessie O'Malley role these days.
    +1 - those bought votes ten years ago are costing everyone now.
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Forget about the poor and ill - what about the €3,100,000,000 Anglo promissory note payment in March? (Or the massive amount paid in interest on the national(ised) debt)
    If only the HSE was about the poor and the ill, the 30,000 or so administrative staff in there are about as useful to the poor and the ill as an ashtray on a motorbike.

    Taxation is always sold to people as being about "helping the poor", "equality", "the starving abroad", in reality the money finds its way into administrators salaries and cronies on quango boards. If only our money actually went to help the genuinely through no fault of their own less well off then even I may not object so much to taxation.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Irrespective of whether you are left or right wing economically, poor financial control is to be dismayed of ... the situation is truly shocking

    At least in SW some of it is down to unpredictability (more claimants) , but the year on year lack of financial control in Health shows a serious problem.

    cYp
    When's Reilly going to publish the two reports on financial management in the HSE which have been sitting on his desk since July?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    when's reilly going to publish the two reports on financial management in the hse which have been sitting on his desk since july?
    never ........ No surrender .....
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    There's too large a bloc of people in this country who take and don't contribute, so they have the ability to get a Labour party (or variant) into power who can prevent proper reform.
    Maybe even 47% of the country...


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •