Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE BUDGET - The Health related hikes and cuts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default THE BUDGET - The Health related hikes and cuts

Department of Health to get extra €150m - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

- Increase in the prescription charge from 50 cent to €1.50 per item.

- The monthly threshold at which the charge is capped is also being increased from €10 to €19.50

- The monthly threshold for people claiming relief on costs under the Drug Payment Scheme is also being put up €132 to €144

- Access to medical cards for over-70s is being restricted. Individuals with an income of €600-700 per week (€1,200-1,400 for a couple) will now qualify only for a GP-only card rather than the full card.
    The one that will hit a certain community bad is the hike in threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme from €132 to €144 PER MONTH. In our case my wife had a kidney transplant in 2009 and has to have drugs ( anti rejection etc ) that exceeds this threshold for ever or she doesnt live. Now we have to find another €12 per month for ever on top of the €132 that it was. This scheme also rose last two budgets. I suppose they keep hitting this because it is a minority of people affected relatively? Those with transplants and long term medical issues that require them to have these drugs to stay alive.
    Last edited by robut; 5th December 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post

The one that will hit a certain community bad is the hike in threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme from €132 to €144 PER MONTH. In our case my wife had a kidney transplant in 2009 and has to have drugs ( anti rejection etc ) that exceeds this threshold for ever or she doesnt live. Now we have to find another €12 per month for ever on top of the €132 that it was. This scheme also rose last two budgets. I suppose they keep hitting this because it is a minority of people affected relatively? Those with transplants and long term medical issues that require them to have to have these drugs to stay alive.
    Reilly pledged to do away with the prescription charge before the last election. Another broken election promise. It's going to cost me €14.50 a month now. I suppose you wouldn't expect less from the lying FG scum.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try €144 per month

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Reilly pledged to do away with the prescription charge before the last election. Another broken election promise. It's going to cost me €14.50 a month now. I suppose you wouldn't expect less from the lying FG scum.
    What was before today ?

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The one that will hit a certain community bad is the hike in threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme from €132 to €144 PER MONTH. In our case my wife had a kidney transplant in 2009 and has to have drugs ( anti rejection etc ) that exceeds this threshold for ever or she doesnt live. Now we have to find another €12 per month for ever on top of the €132 that it was. This scheme also rose last two budgets. I suppose they keep hitting this because it is a minority of people affected relatively? Those with transplants and long term medical issues that require them to have to have these drugs to stay alive.
    I am sure they watch the payments out and raise the amount to eliminate the most claims. I have, in 10 years, only made the threshold once. As soon as I might get close, they raise it. That affects you indirectly but it is not aimed at you, but people like me.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do - Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    What was before today ?
    €4.50 plus. If I don't get the tablets, I'm dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try €144 per month
    I know. It's very tough for you. When I could work I had to pay that too. I'm very lucky to have the med. card. When I started on the dps scheme, it was 32 punt a month. Does your wife not qualify for the long term scheme?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can you afford the extra €10 ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know. It's very tough for you. When I could work I had to pay that too. I'm very lucky to have the med. card. When I started on the dps scheme, it was 32 punt a month. Does your wife not qualify for the long term scheme?
    Grim stuff, its only when you hear individual stories you realise the impact of the stroke of a pen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And what is the retail value of the drugs - in other words do you know how much the taxpayer is saving you?
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast