Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Radharc Squad

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Radharc Squad

Anyone caught that one on RTÉ One last night?

Just over fifty years ago, spotting the likely influence of the soon-to-be-launched national TV broadcaster, Archbishop John Charles McQuaid put together and trained a small group of filmmaker priests, to offer programmes to Telefis Éireann. If the idea was to create a Trojan horse of Catholic influence at the heart of the national broadcaster, some of its consequences were unexpected. This two part documentary tells the story of the Radharc team and its role in the evolution of Irish television and culture.
    I thought it was fascinating stuff. Hard to pick out a 'most interesting' part, as there were so many, but what stuck in the mind:

- The missionary work in Nigeria, and the nonchalant way the nuns talked about going about their work in what became a warzone. Not for the faint of heart, clearly.

- The look at Lundy Day in Derry in the mid-60s, before the Troubles kicked off. I do have to doubt the claim from the old SF woman that if these segments had been broadcast the time things might have gone differently. I can't imagine attempts by the Republic to get involved would have resulted in the Unionists reacting any differently to their usual wasps-nest-poked-with-a-stick impression.

- Not broadcasting folklorish customs like breaking an egg in someone's barn on the grounds of being pagan. And no law against making essentially a magical death threat short of trespassing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Korean View Post
    Anyone caught that one on RTÉ One last night?

I thought it was fascinating stuff. Hard to pick out a 'most interesting' part, as there were so many, but what stuck in the mind:

- The missionary work in Nigeria, and the nonchalant way the nuns talked about going about their work in what became a warzone. Not for the faint of heart, clearly.

- The look at Lundy Day in Derry in the mid-60s, before the Troubles kicked off. I do have to doubt the claim from the old SF woman that if these segments had been broadcast the time things might have gone differently. I can't imagine attempts by the Republic to get involved would have resulted in the Unionists reacting any differently to their usual wasps-nest-poked-with-a-stick impression.

- Not broadcasting folklorish customs like breaking an egg in someone's barn on the grounds of being pagan. And no law against making essentially a magical death threat short of trespassing.
    I think you can access their acchive online!

Radharc.ie - Who we are

The website is down at the moment.

Radharc was an independent production company. How much did RTE pay them down the years? Radharc appear to own the archive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's back up on line. It appears they own the copyright - nice one - I think it reverted back to them after so many years - it is very pricey to buy for use in progs and the tapes are not cheap either. But it is a very valuable archive and last night's prog was v good and it was great to see the head on the old leftie himself and the whingy face on him. At least the church went in the front door and we knew about them the commies sneaked in and kept schtum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recorded this but haven't watched it yet. The Radharc team did some remarkable work down the years, especially in the 60s and early 70s.

AFAIK RTE are also showing, this week or next, the eye-opening Radharc documentary on Dublin slum life whose Youtube version crops up here from time to time.

Edit: Weird! Trying to follow the link posted above led me to the site but also delivered a malware warning. When queried, it gave me this:

Diagnostic page for radharcfilms.ie

What is the current listing status for radharcfilms.ie?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 3 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 8 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 8 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-11-24, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-11-24.

Malicious software includes 9 trojan(s), 2 scripting exploit(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 5 domain(s), including fggicjwrewdrwwje.pro/, cclfwmowpmeaepje.pro/, hwtthrwwgtdwfoji.pro/.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS26347 (DREAMHOST), AS15169 (Google Internet Backbone).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, radharcfilms.ie did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Michael Cleary - what an eejit.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watched it last night. Was very surprised at Dermot McCarthy's statement that none of the Radharc team was aware of clerical abuse. They didn't know Cleary was bonking his housekeeper!!
    What planet was this guy on?
    Radharc made some excellent newsworthy programmes, especially in Africa and South and Central America.

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newsjunkie9 View Post
    Watched it last night. Was very surprised at Dermot McCarthy's statement that none of the Radharc team was aware of clerical abuse.
    Back then, no one knew of clerical abuse. Not the authorities, state and church, even they were receiving accounts to the contrary. Amazing what one doesn't see when one doesn't want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newsjunkie9 View Post
    Watched it last night. Was very surprised at Dermot McCarthy's statement that none of the Radharc team was aware of clerical abuse. They didn't know Cleary was bonking his housekeeper!!
    What planet was this guy on?
    Radharc made some excellent newsworthy programmes, especially in Africa and South and Central America.
    Many people didn't want to know about clerical abuse. Which is important to differentiate from actually not knowing about something.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    Edit: Weird! Trying to follow the link posted above led me to the site but also delivered a malware warning. When queried, it gave me this:
    Seems to have been a vulnerable installation of a content management system program called Joomla. Basically the site was cracked/exploited. It has now been taken down for maintenance.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    Many people didn't want to know about clerical abuse. Which is important to differentiate from actually not knowing about something.
    I totally agree. But Dermod McCarthy said he didn't know about Clerical abuse. I find that very hard to believe.
    The clergy knew about it but were afraid to speak out due to the threat of banishment by McQuaid and other bishops.
    The guy in Armagh, the Cardinal, is still in his position today despite his knowledge and meeting with two boys in the north who had been abused.
    He refused to resign. The bugger should have been sacked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast