Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you FG: Ireland's Transparency ranking falls 11 places in 2 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thank you FG: Ireland's Transparency ranking falls 11 places in 2 years

So much for the new politics we were promised. Ireland is now rated as more corrupt than Uruguay and the Bahamas by Transparency International.

And guess what the cause is?

The Moriarty and Mahon tribunals showed how corruption and payments to politicians existed at Government level, while the lack of holding people to account was having an effect on how the country was perceived, the group said.
    “There appears to have been very little action taken on foot of the publication of the final Moriarty tribunal report, while the Taoiseach’s decision to make public appearances with Denis O’Brien after the publication of the report will have done our international reputation no favours,” said Mr Devitt.
    But, but, but...I thought with FF gone the days of corruption in politics were over?

Ireland corruption ranking slips - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New politics my hole

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    So much for the new politics we were promised. Ireland is now rated as more corrupt than Uruguay and the Bahamas by Transparency International.

But, but, but...I thought with FF gone the days of corruption in politics were over?

So what you're trying to say in a very round about way, is that if FF governments hadn't been riddled with corruption, then the current government wouldn't have made such a bad job of cleaning up after them?
    Last edited by Gimpanzee; 5th December 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's called the James Reilly factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    So what you're trying to say in a very round about way, is that if FF governments hadn't been riddled with corruption, then the current government wouldn't have made such a bad job of cleaning up after them?
    I think what we is trying to say is that under FG/ Labour Irelands transparency rating has fallen by 11 places in comparison to where it was under FF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ha ha ha ha.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post
    I think what we is trying to say is that under FG/ Labour Irelands transparency rating has fallen by 11 places in comparison to where it was under FF.
    Yes, I see what you mean.....

"The Moriarty and Mahon tribunals showed how corruption and payments to politicians existed at Government level, while the lack of holding people to account was having an effect on how the country was perceived, the group said."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whats wrong with Uruguay and the Bahamas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TI seem to be be a little delayed in their evaluation. They dropped our rating because of the tribunals - which were investigating corruption from the 90's. If IT continue to be 15-20 years behind, we can expect our rating to fall to rock bottom around 2028 - which will be 20 years after the banking crisis.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast