Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-Day for Britain : Wednesday 5th December 2012?

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default D-Day for Britain : Wednesday 5th December 2012?

Newsnight did a fascinating feature on Tuesday night.

Tomorrow Gideon Osborne has to tell the nation how austerity is going to pan out for the next 12 months.

Britain is likely to impose further cuts in order to dry to help balance it's books, because like Ireland, growth is nowhere near the level required to address their deficit and, worse, there is no sign of growth in the foreseeable future.

The spectre of Britain losing it's AAA-rating is now a real possibility if more austerity is imposed.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

britain is compleatly buggered
    cant borrow , cant print, cant cut interest rates
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what is for the best anymore.

I understand we're spending beyond our means but it seems the more countries cut their budgets the slower their economy goes, creating more debt which requires yet more cuts.

It's like a vicious circle.

I feel very lucky to have a job, though the spectre of redundancy has been hanging around our organisation for 2-3 years now.

A good friend of mine got a part-time, minimum-wage job in small retail/warehouse type place. Not a particularly enticing job and there was only one vacancy - but he was told 320 people applied for it, including a bloke with a Doctorate in History.

It's scary. When I got my current job in 2002 the local paper's job section was so thick it could be a newspaper on its own - you were almost spoilt for choice.

Since they started talking redundancy at work I've looked in the same paper - got to the jobs bit, turned over the first page after seeing nothing suitable, only to discover that was pretty much it - there is no jobs "section" anymore as such, just a page or two.

The poorer the area the more it depended on public-sector jobs, but they have been cut back massively.

It's easy to criticise the Chancellor and I am sure I will but I admit I wouldn't fancy his job.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    ?

We're struggling all right but I'm not sure you're right on any of those.

We are borrowing - way too much - but we are still able to borrow.

We can certainly print as we have our own currency still. Not desirable to do but we could.

We can also cut interest rates if we want though they are so low there's no much room left to do so - but again, we could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See this is the dilemma - if we do more austerity we might lose our AAA rating, but I was led to believe that France not doing enough austerity had led them to be downgraded from AAA by two of the three main agencies.

It seems you can't win whatever you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    ?

We're struggling all right but I'm not sure you're right on any of those.

We are borrowing - way too much - but we are still able to borrow.

We can certainly print as we have our own currency still. Not desirable to do but we could.

We can also cut interest rates if we want though they are so low there's no much room left to do so - but again, we could.
    qe 2 or is it 3 now
    the B of E and the gov are borrowing and lending to each other
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I don't know what is for the best anymore.

I understand we're spending beyond our means but it seems the more countries cut their budgets the slower their economy goes, creating more debt which requires yet more cuts.

It's like a vicious circle.

I feel very lucky to have a job, though the spectre of redundancy has been hanging around our organisation for 2-3 years now.

A good friend of mine got a part-time, minimum-wage job in small retail/warehouse type place. Not a particularly enticing job and there was only one vacancy - but he was told 320 people applied for it, including a bloke with a Doctorate in History.

It's scary. When I got my current job in 2002 the local paper's job section was so thick it could be a newspaper on its own - you were almost spoilt for choice.

Since they started talking redundancy at work I've looked in the same paper - got to the jobs bit, turned over the first page after seeing nothing suitable, only to discover that was pretty much it - there is no jobs "section" anymore as such, just a page or two.

The poorer the area the more it depended on public-sector jobs, but they have been cut back massively.

It's easy to criticise the Chancellor and I am sure I will but I admit I wouldn't fancy his job.
    Good post.

And it is an accurate reflection of what was said on Newsnight : he can't borrow, he can't print.

The only solution appears to be to inflate away the problem as suggested by Newsnight.
    Printing??????

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I think you'll find that they print, and are printing,

And when that moose nibbling sociopath get his frost bitten fingers on the keys to the printing room.....

well, I expect there to be an ink shortage

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Oh, I think you'll find that they print, and are printing,

And when that moose nibbling sociopath get his frost bitten fingers on the keys to the printing room.....

well, I expect there to be an ink shortage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

qe 2 or is it 3 now
    the B of E and the gov are borrowing and lending to each other
    That's some German guy delivering the next "loan" to the Irish central bank, right?
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast