Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Land Commission formation and early duties - knowledge?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Land Commission formation and early duties - knowledge?

Im doing some research into some historic land issues and seeking someone with knowledge of the activities of the Land Commission in the 1920's 1930s.

Among their duties after the foundation of the Irish Free state in 1922 was facilitating the transfer of land ownership from Landlords to tenants, re-distribution etc. The process appears to have been set out in the land acts of 1923 etc.

What is vesting, and how does it relate. Did they do some sort of formal act in 1931? Help appreciated.
    Sig, sig, sig

Politics.ie Member diaspora-mick's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSixSeven View Post
    Im doing some research into some historic land issues and seeking someone with knowledge of the activities of the Land Commission in the 1920's 1930s.

Among their duties after the foundation of the Irish Free state in 1922 was facilitating the transfer of land ownership from Landlords to tenants, re-distribution etc. The process appears to have been set out in the land acts of 1923 etc.

What is vesting, and how does it relate. Did they do some sort of formal act in 1931? Help appreciated.
    Well you could start here for example:
    Davitt: Irish Patriot and Father of the Land League

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Is this professional Research or for private pursuit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSixSeven View Post

The Land Commission dated from the 1880s and its big achievements were the 1903 Act and a 1909 Act allowing compulsory purchase. The 1923 Act was a tidying up by the Free State and it was abolished in about 1983.

Vesting is where an interest in land (e.g. a lease or the freehold) starts to belong to someone. A future "vesting day" would be the date that an interest is due to pass from A to B.

This would do an inter-cert student:
    Irish Land Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Little Room

I've not posted enough to start a thread, and this one was the nearest to my question-

Could anyone suggest some good books on the history of land rights in Cork, or all of Ireland?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Room View Post
    I've not posted enough to start a thread, and this one was the nearest to my question-

Could anyone suggest some good books on the history of land rights in Cork, or all of Ireland?

Thanks
    You'd have to start with the Brehon law; Norman-French feudalism; the English system. All overlapped each other. Mostly the owner of land has the rights to it.
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have a read of this.

Sammon, P: In the Land Commission; A Memoir 1933-1978 (Dublin, 1997)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Room View Post

Thanks
    Some of the works on agrarian distrubances, particularly the Rockites , would have a large reference to Cork and land rights

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Neiphin for the reference to article on .Daly - he is often overlooked these days.

One of the late Judge Jophn Garavan's sons, Mark, has written a thesis on that period. John was proud of the family connection to Daly

imho the Land League was at least as important for the development of t he country as was the War of Independence
    Last edited by ergo2; 31st January 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast