Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compare Irish Health Insurance to US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Compare Irish Health Insurance to US

Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

Above it a handy little calculator for US workers to work out how much Obama care will cost them. When I put in my numbers it came to nearly $11k for my family. Plus 'co-payments' (when the insurance company only partly covers a treatment cost) will now be capped at $6.5k/year.

Makes me happy to have VHI - which costs about 1,500 for the same. Who among P.iers would like to pay $11k for VHI?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

But if we put Michael O'Leary in charge of Health, he would sort everything out and every single person in the state would be paying 9.99 pa. Apparently.

He should give Obama a call.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post

Above it a handy little calculator for US workers to work out how much Obama care will cost them. When I put in my numbers it came to nearly $11k for my family. Plus 'co-payments' (when the insurance company only partly covers a treatment cost) will now be capped at $6.5k/year.

Makes me happy to have VHI - which costs about 1,500 for the same. Who among P.iers would like to pay $11k for VHI?
    Or compare it with Germany! Private health insurance is not for the faint-hearted in Germany, especially if you are a woman or getting on in years.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Makes me happy to have VHI - which costs about €1,500 for the same. Who among P.iers would like to pay $11k for VHI?
    So, paying $11k for healthcare is Communism? What a wonderful world.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If healthy and self employed with no access to a group scheme though work, union, professional organistation Or state/ town residency then those are the numbers. But if you actually use your healthcare even just for regular family ailments and odd minor hospital procedure or course of physio etc a normal us health plan covers far more once you reach your deductible. Additionally most decent employers run plans. So in reality most people in Ireland who can afford VHI would likely be paying slightly more ( couple if hundred dollars) to be part of an employers plan in the US which would , in turn, provide far higher levels of coverage than the VHI for everything. Once deductible for year ( maybe 400 dollars) is reached everything us pretty much free.

I pay 1100 dollars for complete family coverage in an employers scheme

It's people in Ireland who depend on public care whom don't qualify for medical card that would be screwed in the US

US system if provision is massively flawed and suffes the same malign influence from healthcare industry and professionals as in Ireland. But if you are in a 'good job' you are likely getting better value for money and care in USA than Ireland. Just wouldn't want to have a conscience regarding plight of the uninsured

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

US health insurance = $11K a year only if you are healthy.
    It's more like $18k pa for me with pre-existing condition.

And that's not including any deductibles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Jordan View Post
    So in reality most people in Ireland who can afford VHI would likely be paying slightly more ( couple if hundred dollars) to be part of an employers plan in the US which would , in turn, provide far higher levels of coverage than the VHI for everything. Once deductible for year ( maybe 400 dollars) is reached everything us pretty much free.
    So even after paying up to $11,000 in the premium, you then have to also fork out the first $400 before your cover kicks in?

VHI (for all its flaws) works from day one. No deductible. (Usually) no lead in time for preexisting conditions.

Plus, VHI doesn't land employers with crippling costs for hiring people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murf13 View Post
    US health insurance = $11K a year only if you are healthy.
    It's more like $18k pa for me with pre-existing condition.
    Obamacare has banned that, no?

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Jordan View Post

It's people in Ireland who depend on public care whom don't qualify for medical card that would be screwed in the US

US system if provision is massively flawed and suffes the same malign influence from healthcare industry and professionals as in Ireland. But if you are in a 'good job' you are likely getting better value for money and care in USA than Ireland. Just wouldn't want to have a conscience regarding plight of the uninsured
    Very good post, and the nub of the issue is the above quote.

For the really life threatening stuff, American healthcare is far better, and more cutting edge. but ultimately, you are right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So even after paying up to $11,000 in the premium, you then have to also fork out the first $400 before your cover kicks in?

VHI (for all its flaws) works from day one. No deductible. (Usually) no lead in time for preexisting conditions.

Plus, VHI doesn't land employers with crippling costs for hiring people.
    No , As I stated I pay around $1,100 for care not $11,000.....not much more than I paid in Ireland.....but once I spend $400 in a year, thats it....no 80 euro hello for GP, no hospital bills, no prescription fees.....nothing. And such employer or group schemes do not feature medficals or lengthy questionaires on pre-existing conditions. I could have a chronic illness and would be paying the same.

And VHI might kick in straight away with no deductible but just what does that mean when you are getting a fiver back here or a tenner back there for day to day stuff?? In both cases you are covered for a really big bill from day one.

As I said, the system is awful in terms of provison to poor or those who cannot access a group scheme. But I would wager the majority of VHI members in ireland, particualry in light of numbers dropping insurance, would be better off in the US as would not fall in those categories

I am not trying to justify the US system ....such a justicifcation would be almost immoral. However the Irish system is broken also. and fails a far higher percentage of population in my opinion.

I personally have much better and better value for money coverage and access here in the US than back home. This applies to dental and medical. For 300 dollars a year I can have pretty much all the work done on my teeth that I want. I went 10 years at home without seeing a dentist because it cost 90 euro a filling at a time when I was earning 17000 p.a.

At home I was paying for PRSI, VHI and also paying the actual bills and even after all that still had to wiat for simple procedures or access like a scan on a dodgy ankle etc.

However that is just me and other fortunates like me. The US system spends a fortune but rather like Ireland the monies are diverted into pockets of the industry and higher professionals.

My point though, is that there is at least a sugnificant cadre of US health care "customers" getting decent provision for day to day care.

In Ireland day to day health care provision is an alien concept to the working/ lower middle class that I come from.......its suprising how few doctor visits you need to take when the guy asks for 80 euro to say hello.

And finally that analysis at top smells. The whoel purpose of Obama care is to make sure that everyone has access to the type of insurance option I have ( which is already the case ofr 100's of millions of American residents)
    Last edited by Roberto Jordan; 4th December 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast