Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will someone please let RTE know about the War of Independence?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Will someone please let RTE know about the War of Independence?

Okay - I was very late driving to work today...bit of a night out last night...so I caught parts of radio shows I wouldn't normally. The end of MI and the start of JM (actually with KT today ).

Anyway, a good 10 mins of BOTH shows were given over to the "news" that Kate Middleton is pregnant. Now admittedly we live in a country that has no problems of its own - the single BIGGEST issue facing our government appearing to be the tragic death of an Indian lady giving birth in one of our finest hospitals - but I still don't see how, nearly 90 years after gaining our independence the news that a foreign royal family is pregnant is should be big business on our airwaves.

Are we really a republic or are we just taking a break?
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I look forward to 9 months of news of Kate's morning sickness. That must mean that there's nothing more important going on in the world.

Also i'm kind of an egalitarian so I hope there's equal media attention to every other woman experiencing morning sickness. Newspapers may have to expand somewhat, but if 'pregnant woman feels bad in the morning' is what we're calling newsworthy then lets be consistent about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Okay - I was very late driving to work today...bit of a night out last night...so I caught parts of radio shows I wouldn't normally. The end of MI and the start of JM (actually with KT today ).

Anyway, a good 10 mins of BOTH shows were given over to the "news" that Kate Middleton is pregnant. Now admittedly we live in a country that has no problems of its own - the single BIGGEST issue facing our government appearing to be the tragic death of an Indian lady giving birth in one of our finest hospitals - but I still don't see how, nearly 90 years after gaining our independence the news that a foreign royal family is pregnant is should be big business on our airwaves.

Interesting because there is another thread on the site giving out about Breakfast on Newstalk devoting 10 mins to the same issue and how people were tuning back to Morning Ireland as a result.

There is a solution folks, Radio Nova.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sweet jesus...
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is already a thread on this and unfortunately celebrity pregnancies are news, get over it!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

They're our next-door neighbours and some of the biggest celebrities around. We've got all sorts of social and cultural ties to the uk, so it's understandable that it would be big news.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    There is already a thread on this and unfortunately celebrity pregnancies are news. get over it!
    So you would be happy if a respected news programme such as Morning Ireland were to devote 10 minutes of their schedule to Jordan or Jodie Marsh's new baby? Those obsessed with the Royals are no different from those who immerse themselves in that odious, vacuous, superficial celebrity culture.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Have a KitKat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wait and see, even though most members will proclaim disinterest this event will be widely debated on this site.

here i am posting on it myself!

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    There is already a thread on this and unfortunately celebrity pregnancies are news, get over it!
    Odd response - why should I have to "get over it" when our license fee paid national broadcaster devotes excessive time to foreign royalty pregnancy - or any other related news.

It will be genuinely interesting over the next few months to see how this plays. I sometimes wonder if deep down we "Irish" aren't a teeny bit sorry we're independent at all.
    The more things change....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast