Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do the same people crop up again and again? And again and again?

Default Why do the same people crop up again and again? And again and again?

If a similar thread has been been started before, then please forgive me.

However, upon watching TV for the first time in a while, I have to ask the following: why in the name of Our Holy Licence Fee is Eddie Hobbs presenting a programme about the Civil War? Why is Ivana Bacik given seemingly never-ending airtime at the moment? Is Mario Rosenstock ever going to have to do anything other recycle material from c.2002?

And I wonder why I have to pay a licence fee even though I usually rely on my iPod or DVD collection.

I may be being unfair to these three individuals, but I feel that they are representative of the 'rinse and repeat' nature of RTE in its many forms. With a population of 6 million or so, are we not able to develop new talent? Or are we too accepting of "the devil you know"? Is it purely based on the perceived nepotism of RTE or, dare I say it, viewer laziness? Whatever it is, if I ever have to be subjected to Eddie Hobbs' 'concerned' close-up again the TV is getting thrown out the window.
    "Holding it together with pilates and gin."

Quote Originally Posted by alloverbartheshouting View Post
    I may be being unfair to these three individuals.
    Go for it and give them a good kicking as well.

If they were hanging people for talent and ability there is no chance any of the 3 would suffer.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because they are available. Because its TV by numbers, not by original thought.

I have to ask the following: why in the name of Our Holy Licence Fee is Eddie Hobbs presenting a programme about the Civil War?
    Michael Collins was living beyond his means?
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

If a similar thread has been been started before, then please forgive me.

However, upon watching TV for the first time in a while, I have to ask the following: why in the name of Our Holy Licence Fee is Eddie Hobbs presenting a programme about the Civil War? Why is Ivana Bacik given seemingly never-ending airtime at the moment? Is Mario Rosenstock ever going to have to do anything other recycle material from c.2002?

And I wonder why I have to pay a licence fee even though I usually rely on my iPod or DVD collection.

I may be being unfair to these three individuals, but I feel that they are representative of the 'rinse and repeat' nature of RTE in its many forms. With a population of 6 million or so, are we not able to develop new talent? Or are we too accepting of "the devil you know"? Is it purely based on the perceived nepotism of RTE or, dare I say it, viewer laziness? Whatever it is, if I ever have to be subjected to Eddie Hobbs' 'concerned' close-up again the TV is getting thrown out the window.
    Is it any different on the BBC, really? Stephen Fry, Paxman, a handful of historians over on BBC4, Harry bloody Enfield, and so on.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTE has lots of issues it needs to be addressed and to declare my interest, I can't stand the place, but what they do is what TV does the world over.

Hardly the main reason to dislike them.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait until the new years eve party show is on. I betcha that crocked puss of a des Cahill beside that twink yolk between Ann Doyle. Terrible dung.

Regards...itchy sac

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Michael Collins was living beyond his means?
    Sure, that's what the fall out with Dev was about. Wasn't it?

Not making light of my own thread, but really? Internationally-renowned irish historian, Eddie Hobbs? Was Diarmuid Ferriter busy or something?

Quote Originally Posted by ottovonbismarck View Post
    Wait until the new years eve party show is on. I betcha that crocked puss of a des Cahill beside that twink yolk between Ann Doyle. Terrible dung.

Regards...itchy sac
    You know you'll be glued to the screen.

Regards..... pun intended

Quote Originally Posted by 44percent View Post
    Because they are available. Because its TV by numbers, not by original thought.
    But does this make it right?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast