Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barring People from pubs can be traumatic and embarrassing + can cause mental problems : UCD Sociologist

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Barring People from pubs can be traumatic and embarrassing + can cause mental problems : UCD Sociologist

I don't think publicans bar people for the fun of it esp the way business is going.

Anyone who gets barred from a pub must have done something serious and if they were barred for something minor, I'm sure if they talked to the publican they would be let back in.

I wonder how much this sociologist is getting per year?

Pub barrings can be traumatic and embarrassing | Irish Examiner

I am a sociologist interested in issues of inclusion and exclusion in Irish society and the management of spoilt identity.

I am interested in hearing of the circumstances under which people have been barred from public houses in this country and the consequences thereof.

Being barred, especially from a favourite pub, can be a deeply disturbing, traumatic and embarrassing event for a person. It can often happen as a consequence of vulnerability, challenge or threat that is being experienced by a person in their life or other chronic underlying factors.

Publicans are not sufficiently sensitive or knowledgeable to enable them to understand such matters so that even one minor event, often arising from a miscommunication, may be sufficient to incur summary debarment.

These events in most cases are so minor as to not even warrant the attention of the gardaí, and yet a person may end up being barred effectively for life.

This is grossly unjust and degrading and can pose serious long-term mental health problems for the person concerned.
    All matters that are serious enough to go before the bench have at least a time limit imposed by which time the offence can be discharged. Not so in the case of a pub debarment which is always at the whim of the bar owner or manager.

I am asking people who feel they have suffered unfairly as a result of this arbitrary and unregulated form of punishment to contact me with their stories.

My intention is to examine as many case studies as I receive to produce an account of this phenomenon in contemporary Ireland so as propose a number of recommendations whereby, through a process of mediation, offending parties and pub owners may be reconciled and rehabilitation of the original offence can occur.

Dr Paul A Stokes
    School of Sociology
    University College Dublin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post
    I don't think publicans bar people for the fun of it esp the way business is going.

Anyone who gets barred from a pub must have done something serious and if they were barred for something minor, I'm sure if they talked to the publican they would be let back in.

I wonder how much this sociologist is getting per year?

Pub barrings can be traumatic and embarrassing | Irish Examiner
    Clearly missed his calling - soon to be a pub landlord near you.
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure isn't that what I was trying to tell that bouncer at the boozer last week.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

eeeemmmmm do they [UCD] not have something better to look in to.
    SWK
    I am all for pubs maintaining law and order by keeping out people they do not want.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Shark View Post
    Clearly missed his calling - soon to be a pub landlord near you.
    Time to cut funding to UCD!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recall some University in England did a whole study that cost a fortune into what was best milk in the cup before the tea, or the tea first and then the milk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oriel House View Post
    Who are ya calling a knackor?
    Six words that mean you cannot enter a pub. Good chance of a claim though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I feel my taxes are being well spent on this valuable research. Next project: how hurt do feelings get when you arrive at McDonald's at 12.30 and you can't order breakfast?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knowledge economy how are ye.

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my experience of running pubs barring some one was a last resort, mostly for violent conduct or just plain stupid been a gobshyte to other punters. Not once have I ever let anybody back into a pub which I barred them out of. A scumbag will always be a scumbag and given them a second chance wont change that.
    Gemakzucht.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast