Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should feminist events exclude men?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should feminist events exclude men?

There was a bit of a barney the other night at the London Feminist Film Festival, when one of the panellists at a discussion unexpectedly demanded that all the men present leave.

There was an instant uproar: lots of clapping, but also lots of booing. Many men and women got up and left, visibly disgruntled. [Julia] Long then elaborated on her point, saying how "politically disastrous" it had been to allow men to attend feminist events and conferences in recent years (although she did not specify what the harm actually was). She made some further controversial claims, such as that heterosexuality can be a death sentence (no, that's conflating it with abuse), or that in the face of "off the scale" sexual violence and misogyny, there's nothing more threatening than women withdrawing from men completely (how very progressive and change-inspiring).
    I can't claim to be an expert on feminist theory, although I probably have read more than most men, and have had historical involvement with Gender Studies. But, from what I've heard from 'mainstream' feminists, feminism is meant to be an inclusive movement that, ultimately, will help men as well as women. What do p.ie's feminists think of the suggestion that feminist events should be women-only affairs?

How a feminist debate was derailed by asking all men to leave | Marta Owczarek | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Politics.ie Member Ramon Mercadar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It really depends on the event and should be announced in advance.

The vast majority of Feminist events are open to men as well.

You do find some "radical feminists" who want to exclude men and those who are trans-Gender. They also see all hetero-sexual intercourse as rape. They are a tiny mad minority.
    In 1908, in London, at the Olympics, Irish American Martin Sheridan announced “This flag dips for no earthly king," when the US team paraded past the royal box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Mercadar View Post

You do find some "radical feminists" who want to exclude men and those who are trans-Gender. They also see all hetero-sexual intercourse as rape. They are a tiny mad minority.
    If I was a feminist, I'd want the radicals attaching themselves to my events like a hole in the head. They provide support for the worst stereotypes about men-hating dungaree-wearing lunatics.

SCUM Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact that she didn't specify why the presence of men was "disastrous" is telling.

I follow a few prominent feminists on Twitter and this subject was broached one day, all of them enthusiastically supported the idea of men attending their events.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    If I was a feminist, I'd want the radicals attaching themselves to my events like a hole in the head. They provide support for the worst stereotypes about men-hating dungaree-wearing lunatics.

SCUM Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Relevant and hilarious.

Hark, a vagrant: 341
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Feminists believe that gender equality should be a female focused exercise.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

simeongrimes

Why kind of men go to feminist events anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    Why kind of men go to feminist events anyway?
    My suspicion is extremely cynical sexual opportunists, but I'm probably being unfair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    There was a bit of a barney the other night at the London Feminist Film Festival, when one of the panellists at a discussion unexpectedly demanded that all the men present leave.

I can't claim to be an expert on feminist theory, although I probably have read more than most men, and have had historical involvement with Gender Studies. But, from what I've heard from 'mainstream' feminists, feminism is meant to be an inclusive movement that, ultimately, will help men as well as women. What do p.ie's feminists think of the suggestion that feminist events should be women-only affairs?

How a feminist debate was derailed by asking all men to leave | Marta Owczarek | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
    FFS!! What real man would be seen dead at a feminist event in the first place????
    Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Women need the privilege of talking about their under-privilege in women-only spaces because privileged men will only interrupt the under-privilege with their privilege. Therefore women are allowed to have their own spaces/meetings and men are not.

The fact that we are still funding college courses that produce such dross is an outrage.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast