Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitty Holland defends Savita death story after admitting Praveen's account may be 'muddled'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Kitty Holland defends Savita death story after admitting Praveen's account may be 'muddled'

Kitty Holland, the Irish Times journalist who broke the story about the death of Savita Hallapanavar has defended her November 14th story after she remarked on Marc Coleman's Newstalk show over the weekend that Savita's husband Praveen "may have been a little muddled" in his telling of the story to her. After criticism from The Life Institute she described Praveen as a "credible witness".

She also told RTÉ News that "the newspaper never suggested that a termination of pregnancy might have saved Mrs Halappanavar's life."

Full story here: Journalist stands over Savita Halappanavar story - RTÉ News

Edit: Here is the interview with Holland on Coleman at Large:

Interview with her concludes just before the 9 minute mark. The 'muddled' comment is at the 5 minute mark and from about 5.20 Coleman asks about the alleged request for a termination, the following exchanges occur:

Coleman: ...to what do you attribute the disparity between Praveen's assertion that the family asked for a termination and the fact that the hospital records contain...no requests for a termination.

Holland: ...we're relying all the time on their (Praveen and his solicitor) take on what happened...I don't know, that's a huge gap and if that is the case that a termination was requested and Praveen says that there were witnesses to the requests so that will all come out in the inquiry... we don't know if requests for a termination are recorded at all...

Coleman: ...but you are absolutely satisfied despite saying that his recollection may have been muddled to a certain extent...that he did request a termination.

Holland: Oh I'm not satisfied of anything - I'm satisfied of what he told me but I await as much as anyone else the the inquiry and the findings...I can't tell for certain - I mean who knows what will come out of this inquiry, they make come back and say she came in with a disease she caught from outside the hospital before she even arrived in and that there was no request for a termination - we await with baited breath.

This is the original November 14th story: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html
    Last edited by Skyrocket; 3rd December 2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Kitty Holland, the Irish Times journalist who broke the story about the death of Savita Hallapanavar has defended her November 14th story after she remarked on Marc Coleman's Newstalk show over the weekend that Savita's husband Praveen "may have been a little muddled" in his telling of the story to her. After criticism from The Life Institute she described Praveen as a "credible witness".

She also told RTÉ News that "the newspaper never suggested that a termination of pregnancy might have saved Mrs Halappanavar's life."

Full story here: Journalist stands over Savita Halappanavar story - RTÉ News
    Hmmm, technically she's probably right, but they haven't exactly been in the forefront trying to correct the false impression, have they?

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"She said that his (Praveen Halappanavar) recollection of events, the timeline and days, may be a little muddled"

Praveen Halappanavar who made the allegations needs to be compelled to testify about the claims that he made.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're explaining, you're losing.

Kitty is a good journalist and she got a good story, fair dues to her.

But her editors should have been much more careful in editing the story.

Politics.ie Member Ramon Mercadar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    "She said that his (Praveen Halappanavar) recollection of events, the timeline and days, may be a little muddled"

Praveen Halappanavar who made the allegations needs to be compelled to testify about the claims that he made.
    So the husband of Savita must bw compelled to testify.

You're some tulip.
    In 1908, in London, at the Olympics, Irish American Martin Sheridan announced “This flag dips for no earthly king," when the US team paraded past the royal box.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Mercadar View Post
    So the husband of Savita must bw compelled to testify.

You're some tulip.
    Yep.

He's made serious allegations - those allegations need to be tested.
    I'd like to see the man being compelled to testify.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They rushed the story out because they have a pro-choice agenda and wanted to use this tragic case to promote it. It's disgusting exploitation.
    Last edited by MariaMcN; 3rd December 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    The rushed the story out because they
    have a pro-choice agenda and wanted to use this tragic case to promote it. It's disgusting exploitation.
    Please explain the timeline, so that we will know how you decided it was rushed out.

The Irish Times has decided to back off this story, and have thrown Praveen Hallapanavar under a bus to cover their escape.

I suspect that the Times is backing off the story for reasons which have nothing to do with what actually happened to Savita.

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast