Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What austerity? Limerick Councillor cites "banquet & glass of wine" as reason for overnight stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What austerity? Limerick Councillor cites "banquet & glass of wine" as reason for overnight stays

It looks like there is no austerity for some and the good times keep on rolling in Limerick city council.

According to the Limerick Leader Limerick city councillors have claim €66,000 for conferences so far this year.

Limerick city councillors claim

One member, Cllr Kevin Kiely, claimed the maximum €4,700 allowance councillors are entitled.

Cllr Kiely - who claimed €4,713 - stayed overnight at three conferences locally. His records show attendance at events in Nenagh, Tralee and the Limerick Junction, all of which included overnight stays.

His excuse for staying overnight at these fairly local venues was..."If you go to these conferences, there would normally be a banquet. If you take a glass of wine with it, you cannot drive home, you have no option but to stay overnight"

We also had some councillors who feel it appropriate that the tax payer fund their interests in literature and entertainment at great distance from Limerick

"Two Labour councillors – Joe Leddin and current mayor Gerry McLoughlin – ventured to Clogher, Co Tyrone, for a three-day conference celebrating the work of novelist William Carleton, while Cllr Orla McLoughlin, also of Labour, attended to the John Hewitt summer school in Co Armagh, which promised “music, drama, discussions and entertainment”."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes. Of course. If only there was an option available to us where we could go to an event and not drink.....

As an aside though, I'd struggle to spend €1600 on a night out in Nenagh if I tried.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I'd struggle to spend €1600 on a night out in Nenagh if I tried.
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yes. Of course. If only there was an option available to us where we could go to an event and not drink.....

As an aside though, I'd struggle to spend €1600 on a night out in Nenagh if I tried.
    You'd be surprised.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 3rd December 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by williewatch View Post
    It looks like there is no austerity for some and the good times keep on rolling in Limerick city council.

According to the Limerick Leader Limerick city councillors have claim €66,000 for conferences so far this year.

One member, Cllr Kevin Kiely, claimed the maximum €4,700 allowance councillors are entitled.

Cllr Kiely - who claimed €4,713 - stayed overnight at three conferences locally. His records show attendance at events in Nenagh, Tralee and the Limerick Junction, all of which included overnight stays.

His excuse for staying overnight at these fairly local venues was..."If you go to these conferences, there would normally be a banquet. If you take a glass of wine with it, you cannot drive home, you have no option but to stay overnight"

We also had some councillors who feel it appropriate that the tax payer fund their interests in literature and entertainment at great distance from Limerick

"Two Labour councillors – Joe Leddin and current mayor Gerry McLoughlin – ventured to Clogher, Co Tyrone, for a three-day conference celebrating the work of novelist William Carleton, while Cllr Orla McLoughlin, also of Labour, attended to the John Hewitt summer school in Co Armagh, which promised “music, drama, discussions and entertainment”."
    At least the Labour guys went abroad.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder which 5 star hotel in Limerick Junction charges in excess of EUR 600 per night?
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What was stopping Kiely getting the train from Limerick Junction? There is a reason it's called Limerick Junction after all.

Irish Rail - Iarnród Éireann -

Last train is at 22:53...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by williewatch View Post

sounds like he was getting away from the missus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cellach View Post
    What was stopping Kiely getting the train from Limerick Junction? There is a reason it's called Limerick Junction after all.

Irish Rail - Iarnród Éireann -

Last train is at 22:53...

You do realise that he'd have to travel with plebs like, real scruffy people.

Is this what this country has come too? Our esteemed elected officials are now expected to slum it with commuters?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast