Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Mega Monday. Today(3/12) is the biggest day for online sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mega Monday. Today(3/12) is the biggest day for online sales.

Apparently today is Mega Monday. The day when online sales for Christmas go through the roof.
    Of course all P.ie posters are super tech savy and buy their non religious happy holiday gender neutral gifts for their family online but how much is this effecting high street sales?
    The online retail phenomenon is now part of the norm. It certainly beats hitting the shopping centres!

I try to buy Irish or at least in Irish shops but recently I went to buy a book from a certain Irish retailer online and found them to be twice as expensive as a certain rainforest named online retailer even with postage etc. I really want to be patriotic etc but money is pretty tight.
    Do any posters recommend any good sites (within site rules!) where I can pull on the green jersey whilst being able to pay the mortgage in January?
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the part of the Christmas season that really gets on my t!ts... the media obsession with and relentless stream of bullsh!t about how retailers are doing...

It's utterly tedious...

P.S. I bought a few things two weeks ago from Amazon and am still awaiting delivery of part of the order... so don't believe the online hype...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I gues it's a way of seeing how consumer confidence is in advance of Christmas. Wifey tends to go into shops to try things on and then buy them online for a significant saving. I've done it once or twice myself.
    I've found Amazon to be pretty good but occasionally they have external sellers who take an age.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've done most of my Christmas shopping online this year but found that prices aren't necessarily that much cheaper. Certainly in the UK I've not found Amazon to be hugely cheaper than, say, WH Smith for books for example. Ebay is useful for unusual or unique or vintage/antique gifts.

But the problem I have is that I am at work every day, I don't have a car, I study two evenings a week, so it felt a bit like I was spending every free evening trekking to an industrial park somewhere to a delivery depot to collect what I'd bought and wondered if the seeming convenience was actually worth it?

For everything I bought, I ended up having to go somewhere to get it – so no more convenient that shopping. Except instead of going to an easily accessible street with warm and inviting shops playing Christmas music, I ended up somewhere dark and dingy in the suburbs trying to find Unit 21B. And that’s before you even begin to consider where you are paying for the postage (I tried to buy far enough in advance this year that I wouldn’t need the expedited delivery options which usually make up for any savings you make).

This was my first real experience of online shopping. I’ve done it before, but always for one-off items, never as a standard approach to shopping. I think it will, ultimately, have to adapt to compete with high street retailing, because the tolerance of people who work all day to trek to some depot will, I suggest wear thin.

I think they way companies like Amazon will be forced to go will be to go down the route of the likes of Tesco etc and offer shopping delivery at specific slots in the evening for a reasonable cost. Some companies offer this already but it’s usually extortionate – I was quoted 20 for a Saturday delivery (and that’s without a specific time on a Saturday). Whereas Tesco provide a specific slot in the evening for between 4 and 6. I think that has to be the new model of online shopping or it will continue to be a less attractive model for two-income households without a car.

One thing people should bear in mind about online shopping is to be sure where the goods are coming from. Customs are really clamping down now on stuff coming in from outside the EU via amazon. I've had 2 items stopped recently (a CD box Set and 2 Dvds) and had to travel all the way out to some obscure An Post office to pay customs charges. These reduced the savings I made, and when I factor in my time lost travelling it wasn't worthwhile. Anything over €22 in value is potentially hit.

Last week I had to go out to the South Dublin mail centre, to collect a Chopin 13 CD Box Set that cost approx €55 online. I had to stump up another €22 to have it released. I was amazed at this and said so to the guy on the counter. I have been ordering online from amazon and play.com for years (must have at least 200 transactions under my belt) and this has never happened until recently when it happened twice.

He said this was always within their power, but they are really just focussing on it now. Just a word of caution for people, oh and by the way, Play.com most of their stuff comes from Jersey which is outside the EU Vat area so is potentially problematic.