Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Come work in Northern Ireland!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Come work in Northern Ireland!

So, I decided to post this as it may be of interest to some of you who are looking for work. I'm juggling couple of jobs here in the north of Ireland and in fact have had to turn down a job offer as I just can't fit any more hours in. I have one semi professional job, and one in retail. I'm having a ball up here as well and grateful to be progressing in a job and earning extra money with the other one.

There are loads of jobs to be had up here and they are all over northern Ireland. See www.jobcentreonline.com for example. Yet I am meeting more Eastern Europeans and other nationalities working here than I am those from the south of Ireland.

Another reason I'm even happier now to be here earning and saving is due to an encounter I had with a customer when working at the checkout in my retail job when they asked me 'are things that bad in the south that you had to come up here for work'? They were wearing the poppies, the only people still to be wearing them and I meet a lot of people through this job.

Generally though people are really great here, you will always recognize who's on the Irish or the UK side of things and people are mostly respectful of others from what I've seen.

We need more of you up here!
    Níl tairbhe sa tseanchas
    Nuair a bhíonn an anachain déanta

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Nah buddy, thanks for the offer, don't want to go back to the dark ages.
    Free health system and decent infastructure, not really the dark ages!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Painting kerbs, flying flags, parades, all kind of obviate the advantages.
    You need to get out more!!! And I suppose the twenty-six county 'state' is perfect!!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cuiseogach View Post
    So, I decided to post this as it may be of interest to some of you who are looking for work. I'm juggling couple of jobs here in the north of Ireland and in fact have had to turn down a job offer as I just can't fit any more hours in. I have one semi professional job, and one in retail. I'm having a ball up here as well and grateful to be progressing in a job and earning extra money with the other one.

There are loads of jobs to be had up here and they are all over northern Ireland. See www.jobcentreonline.com for example. Yet I am meeting more Eastern Europeans and other nationalities working here than I am those from the south of Ireland.

Another reason I'm even happier now to be here earning and saving is due to an encounter I had with a customer when working at the checkout in my retail job when they asked me 'are things that bad in the south that you had to come up here for work'? They were wearing the poppies, the only people still to be wearing them and I meet a lot of people through this job.

Generally though people are really great here, you will always recognize who's on the Irish or the UK side of things and people are mostly respectful of others from what I've seen.

We need more of you up here!
    Agree 100% - when I moved up here decades ago - I was the only southerner. Slowly they are coming up - what amazes me is how few from the South visit Northern Ireland. Rarely will you get a Golf Club, Stag/Hen, School travelling from the south beyond the likes of Newry or Derry.

In my own work I have met a girl from Roscommon (working in Civil service), a girl from Cork (Citigroup) and a guy from Dublin (Liberty IT who have all moved up here in last 3 months. Will all say similar about how good it is. I have met guy from Clare & cork who still go home at weekend to play club hurling. Belfast to Westmeath now can be done in 2hrs 5 mins - when I came up you would be looking at 3hrs 45mins

As for seeing who is Irish or English - Its only there if YOU go looking for it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    Agree 100% - when I moved up here decades ago - I was the only southerner. Slowly they are coming up - what amazes me is how few from the South visit Northern Ireland. Rarely will you get a Golf Club, Stag/Hen, School travelling from the south beyond the likes of Newry or Derry.

In my own work I have met a girl from Roscommon (working in Civil service), a girl from Cork (Citigroup) and a guy from Dublin (Liberty IT who have all moved up here in last 3 months. Will all say similar about how good it is.

As for seeing who is Irish or English - Its only there if YOU go looking for it.
    Belfast is a quality city, moved up in August for Uni. Great atmosphere about it and the people are great craic! SUFTUM

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nah buddy, thanks for the offer, don't want to go back to the dark ages.
    Dark ages was what happened recently in a Galway hospital.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Know the score ,compadre, and I don't want to go there.

Living under slates and flying flags and parading ain't for me.

Sorry mate.
    Your very narrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Belfast it would be great if it had a roof.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay it is fine to make positive noises about north of the border but don't go native, remember that Dublin is the normal and natural capital of Ireland (all of it) and that people up there need to be persuaded to come under the Dublin administration ultimately.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry you think so.

I prefer to think of myself as realistic.

You see, pal, people down here don't give a fchuurkhe about Unionist, Communist, Papist,Nationalist.

Fchuurkers up there seem to think that rubbish is vital.

I don't like that schidt mate.

Sorry.
    Lived most of my adult life in the North, so I think I can make an assessment based on facts and not narrow minded ignorance.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast