Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: SBP poll: The Irish people's opposition to 'abortion on demand' remains firm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SBP poll: The Irish people's opposition to 'abortion on demand' remains firm

In the wake of the controversy and public uproar over the death of Savita Halappanavar, which pro-choice groups have erroneously used as a rallying cry to liberalise Ireland's abortion laws, the latest SBP poll reveals that a clear majority of the Irish people are still opposed to any changes in the law that would introduce 'abortion on demand in Ireland'. The figures:

36% support "A constitutional amendment to allow for legal abortion in any case where a woman requests it" - in other words, 'abortion on demand'.

63% would support "A constitutional amendment to limit the X case, by excluding a threat of suicide as a grounds for abortion, but still allowing abortion, where the mother's life is threatened outside of suicide."

The latter appears to be contradicted by the figure of 85% wanting legislation for X including suicide, however it can be explained by the order of the poll questions - if this question was first, people may have assumed it would be the only question on X case legislation and would reluctanly choose yes even though they did not like suicide as an option but gave a greater weight to the mother's life being at risk full stop. However, had people been given a menu of options about X case legislation, the poll would not appear to be contradictory and support for legislating excluding suicide may actually have been slightly higher than 63%.

82% would support "A constitutional amendment to extend the right to abortion to all cases where the health of the mother is seriously threatened and also in cases of rape."

The Sunday Business Post

In summary, people are firmly opposed to 'abortion on demand' but appear conflicted when the issues of suicide and rape are introduced.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by And So I Said; 2nd December 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"In order to terminate a pregnancy, you have to still a heartbeat, switch off a developing brain... break some bones and rupture some organs."

Mehdi Hasan: Being Pro-Life Doesn't Make Me Any Less of a Lefty

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely this is a mandate for a referendum?
    82% would support "A constitutional amendment to extend the right to abortion to all cases where the health of the mother is seriously threatened and also in cases of rape."

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yippeee, another abortion thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

36% agree to abortion on demand?

Jesus, even I wouldn't have put the figure that high.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not surprised, the Irish have always been fabled as the people of the 'Ceád Míle Failte, so it would be inconsistent of us not to welcome our own children!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post
    36% agree to abortion on demand?

Jesus, even I wouldn't have put the figure that high.
    Quite.

The constant refrain over the past 2 weeks has been that 'nobody wants abortion on demand' (whatever that is).

36% is very large.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Quite.

The constant refrain over the past 2 weeks has been that 'nobody wants abortion on demand' (whatever that is).

36% is very large.
    I agree SIL, I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by And So I Said View Post
    I agree SIL, I'm shocked.
    Particularly as it is such a broad question, apparently without restriction.

Edit: I didn't realise the question said 'any case'. I'm stunned 36% agreed to that.

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast