Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre IT article about how peachy everything is

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bizarre IT article about how peachy everything is

In my opinion, some seriously bizarre stuff coming from Stephen Collins in the IT this morning.

Former taoiseach John Bruton, in an interesting blog during the week, attempted to give some context to the “austerity” policies that have seen Irish people suffer a fall in incomes through pay cuts and tax increases and a big reduction in the value of their assets.

He pointed out that while real gross national product is now back to the 2004 level, it is still 90 per cent higher than it was in 1997, and while consumer spending is back to its 2006 level, it is still 80 per cent higher than it was in 1997.

Adjusting ourselves to living on the level of income we had six or seven years ago is not easy, but even when the adjustment has been made we will still be among the wealthiest countries in the world with some of the highest paid public servants and relatively generous welfare payments.
    Budget must show wealthy elite are not untouchable - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 01, 2012

"Six or seven years ago" was 2006. The very height of the economic bubble. And the suggestion seems to be that it's a sufferance that we've only got the same income today as then? What? What? I simply don't get that on any level.

Collins also says:

If Michael Noonan meets his targets for 2013, then 85 per cent of the painful measures required since 2008 to save the State from bankruptcy will have been implemented. Getting to the finishing line will not be easy, but the end is now in sight as long as the Government keeps its nerve.
    Again, I'm lost here. In 2008 we still had almost full employment. And yet we're 85% of the way there despite, in that time, unemployment going up to 15% (25% if you include underemployment), the income/economic activity from the property bubble being almost totally gone, several billions having come out of the economy in several successive budgets and negative multipliers continuing apace.

Either I need a lot more education (very possible) or this is bizarro world stuff.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Point one. Step Collins
    Point two. The IT.
    nuff said methinks.
    SWK
    soon to be on my hollies so a full month off pie lurking around the corner.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toilet Paper of Record,

John Bruton,

I rest my case

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I somehow think that PD-cheerleading, 'Ratify Lisbon Anyway' Collins isn't exactly starving. Adjusting himself to the income he had six or seven years ago must be soooo difficult for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a time when you'd read the Irish Times and learn something new.

Today that pleasure is confined to the Crossaire.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    There was a time when you'd read the Irish Times and learn something new.

Today that pleasure is confined to the Crossaire.
    In fairness, that cartoon fella is pretty good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    In fairness, that cartoon fella is pretty good!
    Doonesbury or Tom Matthews?

Or Stephen Collins.

He's real, you know. Kind of . . .
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Collins
    ...but even when the adjustment has been made we will still be among the wealthiest countries in the world with some of the highest paid public servants and relatively generous welfare payments.
    Scratching me head here. When did having the highest paid public servants become a a measure of "success"?
    Really scratching me head here.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    "Six or seven years ago" was 2006. The very height of the economic bubble. And the suggestion seems to be that it's a sufferance that we've only got the same income today as then? What? What? I simply don't get that on any level.
    Sorry, could you put that another way, please; I'm not fully sure what you're saying you're not sure about. I'm a bit dozy today.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    Doonesbury or Tom Matthews?

Or Stephen Collins.

He's real, you know. Kind of . . .
    Nooooooo, the guy who draws the satirical cartoons,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast