Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 173

Thread: Today, World AIDS Day - Has prevention of HIV been abandoned in Ireland?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Today, World AIDS Day - Has prevention of HIV been abandoned in Ireland?

    Today is world AIDS day..... The statistics for Ireland (and Globally) are frightening. HIV Prevention campagins seem to have dwindled to little more than a few newspaper adverts to use a condom!

    Rates of HIV are on the increase, especially for young gay men in their 20's, who dont view HIV as a serious disease, and have no idea of the burden of taking antiretroviral medication for the rest of their lives....

    So there is lots of money used for Treating HIV globally, but the whole drive to Prevent the transmission of HIV has evaporated and lost momentum and relevance....

    Why is this??? So that drug manufacturers can clean up on a global epidemic?
    Last edited by Beaker; 1st December 2012 at 01:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Ramps
    Guest

    Default

    Because for the vast, vast majority of Irish people, the chances of contracting HIV is almost zero. There are enough real problems to worry about.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Because for the vast, vast majority of Irish people, the chances of contracting HIV is almost zero. There are enough real problems to worry about.
    You make a valid point!

    I wonder though what happened in Africa, where the HIV / AIDS epidemic probably began as something that did not affect the 'vast, vast majority of people' as you put it above...... I wonder what happened, or how did the passing of time affect this situation..???

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Druidess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We all know how HIV/AIDS is contracted, we know how to minimise risks of spreading and contracting this disease. I include high risk groups in this also.

    Perhaps one way to contribute to HIV prevention would be if high profile people such as Zuma led by example in their behaviour and rhetoric.

  5. #5
    Ramps
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    You make a valid point!

    I wonder though what happened in Africa, where the HIV / AIDS epidemic probably began as something that did not affect the 'vast, vast majority of people' as you put it above...... I wonder what happened, or how did the passing of time affect this situation..???
    Good question. I've never seen a plausible account as to why HIV's became so prevalent in Africa as opposed to the West. I think, and I'm only speculating here, that it is very difficult for scientists and academics to speak freely about Africa because they are terrified of being called racist.

    Whether that's true or not, the doomsday scenario of widespread prevalence of HiV in the West just hasn't come about.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Druidess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post
    Latest data from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) shows that the number of people living with the virus in the UK has almost hit 100,000, with 6,280 people diagnosed with HIV last year, and new diagnoses among gay men reached an all-time high in 2011, with 3,010 men discovering they were infected.


    The HPA said one in 20 men who have sex with men in the UK now have HIV, the figure soars to nearly one in 12 in London, and black African people are also at a higher risk with 37 per 1,000 living with the infection - overall HIV prevalence in the UK was 1.5 per 1,000 people.

    HIV, which attacks the immune system and weakens the ability to fight infections and disease, is found in the body fluids of an infected person, and about 95% of people are infected through sexual contact, and Aids is the final stage of HIV infection when the body can no longer fight life-threatening infections.

    More here:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/cameron-spr...001956632.html
    East and central Africa have shockingly high rates of HIV. And mostly spread through heterosexual sex, a lot of that rape and transactional sex. Yet despite this, populations continue to rise.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Red_93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Good question. I've never seen a plausible account as to why HIV's became so prevalent in Africa as opposed to the West. I think, and I'm only speculating here, that it is very difficult for scientists and academics to speak freely about Africa because they are terrified of being called racist.

    Whether that's true or not, the doomsday scenario of widespread prevalence of HiV in the West just hasn't come about.
    I don't know much about it but there are, I think, many reasons. I have heard that black people generally are more susceptible to it. There are other things like lack of education. One story I read before talked about witch doctors saying that a cure for hiv in a man was to have sex with a virgin. That kind of stuff obviously doesn't help.

  8. #8
    Ramps
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    I don't know much about it but there are, I think, many reasons. I have heard that black people generally are more susceptible to it. There are other things like lack of education. One story I read before talked about witch doctors saying that a cure for hiv in a man was to have sex with a virgin. That kind of stuff obviously doesn't help.
    The strange thing is we know from the statistics that during the "Celtic Tiger" period, rates of contraction of STIs went through the roof, so it wasn't as though young Irish people weren't having unprotected sex; even still, the rates of contraction of HIV remained quite stable. Beats me!!

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member White Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    7,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    So there is lots of money used for Treating HIV globally, but the whole drive to Prevent the transmission of HIV has evaporated and lost momentum and relevance....

    Why is this??? So that drug manufacturers can clean up on a global epidemic?
    I wouldn't be surprised if economics and profit play a part. It may be cynical, but perhaps not that far-fetched.

    Also, the vulnerable groups; junkies, homosexual men, and sub-Saharan men are loathe to change their behaviour.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Good question. I've never seen a plausible account as to why HIV's became so prevalent in Africa as opposed to the West. I think, and I'm only speculating here, that it is very difficult for scientists and academics to speak freely about Africa because they are terrified of being called racist.

    Whether that's true or not, the doomsday scenario of widespread prevalence of HiV in the West just hasn't come about.
    It's obvious why AIDS became prevalent in Africa - there is little or no sex education or any kind of education for that matter, superstition beliefs are rife and contraception is unavailable and an impossible to access luxury for millions of people who live in grinding poverty.

    I would imagine there are few single Irish people who aren't using condoms when they have sex.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 1st December 2012 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •