Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australia introduce drastic changes to cigerette packing. Should Ireland follow suit?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Australia introduce drastic changes to cigerette packing. Should Ireland follow suit?

Australia's brought in the toughest restrictions on packaging in the world, taking up over 80% of the box with warning messages and pictures. They're pretty graphic and remove nearly all of the brand logo from the eye. Should Ireland go along with this sort of step?

For me, if the govt's happy to keep them legal and happy to make a huge amount of money in taxes from the product, certainly more than treating lung cancer costs, then people can do without this sort of thing. Everyone knows what smoking does at this point, and isn't this just going to dramatically increase the ease at which counterfeiters can bring in their wares?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Anyone who's still smoking at this point is probably beyond redemption. Personally I'd target the people the ciggie companies are targetting. Children. If there are no new smokers, big tobacco goes out of business. They're not going to take that lying down.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not just the cigarette packing. All cigarettes are kept behind a nondescript front panel. If you did not know where the cigarettes are sold in the shop when you walk in, there is no indication that the shop actually sells cigarettes, and not all shops sell cigarettes.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

simeongrimes

I support any restriction on cigarettes except for an outright ban. A ban would give control of the trade to violent criminals. The people who sell cigarettes are no better than criminals but legality gives us more control over them. So yes let's make the packaging as ugly as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corporal punishment View Post
    Anyone who's still smoking at this point is probably beyond redemption. Personally I'd target the people the ciggie companies are targetting. Children. If there are no new smokers, big tobacco goes out of business. They're not going to take that lying down.
    No amount of advertising, cajoling, fining or anything else will shift smokers even if they are not completely irredeemable. The arguments have all been aired and bar the curiosity elements of these ads can't see them doing an awful lot. The key as you say is to prevent children starting.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

Australia's brought in the toughest restrictions on packaging in the world, taking up over 80% of the box with warning messages and pictures. They're pretty graphic and remove nearly all of the brand logo from the eye. Should Ireland go along with this sort of step?

For me, if the govt's happy to keep them legal and happy to make a huge amount of money in taxes from the product, certainly more than treating lung cancer costs, then people can do without this sort of thing. Everyone knows what smoking does at this point, and isn't this just going to dramatically increase the ease at which counterfeiters can bring in their wares?
    If the government insisted on very particular packaging, unique to the Irish market, be used, would that not make it more difficult for counterfeiters?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    If the government insisted on very particular packaging, unique to the Irish market, be used, would that not make it more difficult for counterfeiters?
    I cant see why, people that buy them from carboot sales or street corners will assume they are smuggled in from somewhere or another.

I dont see the point in these measures, everyone knows you risk major health issues along the way, if that doesnt motivate you to stop or not start then scary pictures on packets is not going to help. Why should governments have the right to act like parents to adults in the first place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    They already have packaging unique to Ireland. The health warnings are printed in Irish and English.

It's important to ensure that people are aware of the likely consequences of smoking long term, but beyond that I would have concerns about paternalism.

Also, we ought to legalise and tax most forms of drugs.
    Repeal the 27th.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast