Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are half the cabinet going to retire on big fat pensions in 3 years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are half the cabinet going to retire on big fat pensions in 3 years?

Looking at the age profile of our esteemed leaders I can see why some of them are avoiding reform and coasting to retirement...

Enda Kenny = 61
    Pat Rabbitte = 63
    Michael Noonan 69
    Alan Shatter = 62
    Ruairi Quinn = 66
    Brendan Howlin = 56 [SHOULD RETIRE EARLY]
    Joan Burton = 63

They can join the others enjoying six figure sums for good work..
    Bertie Ahern,Brian Cowen, Mary Coughlan, Mary Harney, Batt O’Keeffe, Dick Roche, Noel Dempsey, Dermot Ahern, Ivor Callely etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.....in four years. Spring 2016.

They'll see it out until the end . . . Even to the point where, I believe, their last act will be the 100th anniversary commemorations of 1916.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Teabag View Post
    Looking at the age profile of our esteemed leaders I can see why some of them are avoiding reform and coasting to retirement...

Enda Kenny = 61
    Pat Rabbitte = 63
    Michael Noonan 69
    Alan Shatter = 62
    Ruairi Quinn = 66
    Brendan Howlin = 56 [SHOULD RETIRE EARLY]
    Joan Burton = 63
    Rabbitte Shatter and Burton would only have done one term in Cabinet, so I think their pensions would be neither big nor fat.

Quinn and Noonan were first appointed to Cabinet in 1981. Kenny was first elected to the Dáil in 1975. After such long working lives of 7-day-a-week work, why do people begrudge them a decent pension?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    Rabbitte Shatter and Burton would only have done one term in Cabinet, so I think their pensions would be neither big nor fat.

Quinn and Noonan were first appointed to Cabinet in 1981. Kenny was first elected to the Dáil in 1975. After such long working lives of 7-day-a-week work, why do people begrudge them a decent pension?
    My guess is that all of them will get 6 figure pensions.

I suppose my point is whether retirement is their main focus now i.e. don't rock the boat, don't become too unpopular - not long to go now...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The pensions will not be fat after five years!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Teabag View Post
    I suppose my point is whether retirement is their main focus now i.e. don't rock the boat, don't become too unpopular - not long to go now...
    Well Rabbitte, Quinn, and Noonan must surely know that this will be their last stint in Cabinet. So why would they not want to rock the boat? Surely they would want to leave a mark or legacy?

Quinn is certainly doing this, for good or ill. As is Noonan. Rabbitte is one of the most anonymous ministers in the Government.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Don't see what the issue is. I expect ministers to be well paid. It's not an easy job running a country. TD's on the other hand - that's where the problem is. Glorified county councilors.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    No.....in four years. Spring 2016.

They'll see it out until the end . . . Even to the point where, I believe, their last act will be the 100th anniversary commemorations of 1916.
    If the government lasts up to close to that date (no one can tell for certain in politics) then I would be surprised if Fine Gael would want to leave a chance of SF being in power for the 1916 commemorations.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odlum View Post
    Don't see what the issue is. I expect ministers to be well paid. It's not an easy job running a country. TD's on the other hand - that's where the problem is. Glorified county councilors.
    Well done. You've identitfied the problem. Ministers are TD's.

We have glorified County Councillors running the country.

D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DuineEile View Post
    Well done. You've identitfied the problem. Ministers are TD's.

We have glorified County Councillors running the country.

D

Ministers as distinct from back bench TD's. Ministers should be well paid. They have a tough job. Jealousy has to be put to one side.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast