Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What has Joan Burton been doing for the past 18 months?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What has Joan Burton been doing for the past 18 months?

She was very vocal in opposition but what has she achieved as the Minister for Social Protection since coming into power?
    I remember her going on and on about means testing the child benefit which I think most people support and yet the latest budget kite flying is talking about a €10 reduction across the board. Where is the mean testing project plan?
    What is she doing about getting people off welfare? Where is the rest of the social welfare reform? Any reform.
    A year ago I heard her saying that she expected the growth in the economy to help reduce the deficit i.e. lets just wait it out and hope for the best.
    Howlin is utterly clueless and useless. Is Burton ducking her job too?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

You'll find out next week.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Q: What has Joan Burton been doing for the past 18 months?

A: Racking up credits towards her gold plated pension.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She will have her own ikkle conference speech post budget.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She is pondering, as to why she is not minister for finance, I am an accountant Ya know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very little.

The Minister for Social Protection has almost no decissions to make. Social Protection payments and allowances are set by the Department of Finance at Budget time once a year, then the Department for Social Protection apply them over the next year. It is one of the busyiest departments at staff level however.

I've no idea what Burton could be doing to earn the salary.
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the 13th November, I gave a young neighbour a lift home from the dole office, where they'd been informed that their next sign-on date is the 8th Jan 2013. All they has to to in the meantime is pick up their money from the local post office every Friday.

This is INCREDIBLE - no requirement to prove they're actively seeking employment, no requirement to attend training, work schemes, advice centres, voluntary work initiatives, jobseeking workshops, etc.

I asked about what ID they needed to show when signing on and I was informed that they weren't asked for any. With such a lax system, it doesn't take a genius to work out that we are wide open to welfare tourism, where persons living abroad fly in to sign on and then return home to allow one of their mates to collect their weekly dole. If I remember correctly, thousands of people failed to sign-on during the ash crisis when flights were grounded a few years ago.

I was seriously irked yesterday when I heard the audio from the Dail when Eamonn Gilmore was detailing the community charges applicable in N.I., to be greeted with Ooh's, Aah's and gasps of astonishment from the benches. Was this total news to theses effers? Are they totally ignorant how things operate in other jurisdictions?
    It's time to get real in this country and ensure that welfare fraud and excessive state pensions are tackled before imposing any future taxes or cuts to vital services.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She has joined Varadkar in pleading with her constituents in Dublin West not to punish the government for the loss of the Children's Hospital and the sudden loss of the promised Primary Care Centre at Corduff. She lives in Central Dublin so why on earth she is TD for Dublin West is beyond me.
    Joan is busy avoiding the very people that worked with her for the past 30 years in trying to get a care centre for Corduff. You could say that Joan is canvassing for FF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Teabag View Post
    She was very vocal in opposition but what has she achieved as the Minister for Social Protection since coming into power?
    I remember her going on and on about means testing the child benefit which I think most people support and yet the latest budget kite flying is talking about a €10 reduction across the board. Where is the mean testing project plan?
    What is she doing about getting people off welfare? Where is the rest of the social welfare reform? Any reform.
    A year ago I heard her saying that she expected the growth in the economy to help reduce the deficit i.e. lets just wait it out and hope for the best.
    Howlin is utterly clueless and useless. Is Burton ducking her job too?
    Kite flying 6 days prior to budget. Doubt it

I told you previously it would be cut by €10.................kite flying was saying it would be cut by €40 by some stupid bankers in some report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by collina View Post
    Very little.

The Minister for Social Protection has almost no decissions to make. Social Protection payments and allowances are set by the Department of Finance at Budget time once a year, then the Department for Social Protection apply them over the next year. It is one of the busyiest departments at staff level however.

I've no idea what Burton could be doing to earn the salary.
    Making various policy decisions.

• To reduce the time period of eligibility for JB to 12 months max, with suggestions that it's going to be reduced to 9 months in Budget 2012.
    • Reducing expenditure on gas/electricity/telephone allowance.
    • Reducing child benefit rates for a qualified third and fourth child.
    • Reducing the child clothing and footwear allowance and increasing the age from 2-4 years.
    • Discontinuing OFP for all new claims when the oldest child reaches 7 years.
    • Reducing fuel allowance for existing claims from 32 to 26 weeks.
    • Reducing jobseekers based on a five day week as opposed to a six day week if the claimant is working part-time and from 2013 taking Sundays in to account when determining your level of entitlement (which remains to be seen).
    • Commencing a free labour scheme for employers and members of IBEC ie, Jobsbridge.
    • Devising Intreo which is suppose to be a new integrated rights and entitlement service.
    • Bringing CE under the remit of the DSP.
    • Stopping awarding disablement benefit under the OIB scheme if your level of disablement award is 10%.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast