Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dept. of Health Report and the Minister

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dept. of Health Report and the Minister

The Irish Times reported yesterday on the findings of a report commissioned by the Department of Health. It turns out that ....

1. Figures show that Irish GPs are the highest paid in the OECD and earn the second highest multiple of average wages

2. Ireland is the only EU health system that does not offer universal coverage of primary care. Gaps in health coverage create financial barriers to access, particularly for those just above the threshold for medical cards

3. Ireland is one of only three countries to charge “non-poor” households for essential prescription drugs and one of only six to charge for attending hospital emergency departments. It says the hospital charge is much higher than elsewhere – €100 compared to only €2-€30 in other countries that charge

4. Commonly used medicines cost up to 24 times more in Ireland than they do in New Zealand (comparable in size)

5. It costs €51 on average to visit a GP here compared to €22 in France. In fact last year the man from the IMF pointed out at a press conference that a GP visit costs double in this country than many other European countries

The authors warn that efficiency gains from planned and additional reforms will not be sufficient to fund Minister for Health Dr James Reilly’s ambitious plans to provide universal access to primary care and strengthen services.

Another fine mess. Nearly two years into his Ministry and Dr Reilly has not addressed these in any real terms. To date the IMO (which represents GP's) has had no discussions regarding the promised medical cards for 56,000 patients with long-term illness (like CF or MS). The Troika pushed him to allow all GP's treat medical card patients.

So what has James been doing for the last nearly two years?

Was the FG manifesto on health really just a nice looking brochure that James actually had no intention of implementing?

Seriously, UHI, free GP care .... was it all a simple election promise that James had no real intention of following through on? Should "we" be listening very carefully now to what Ms Shortall has to say? Have Labour foolishly ignored Ms Shortall?

A speech given by journalist, broadcaster and health policy analyst Sara Burke (as an independent commentator) to Fianna Fail’s first annual policy conference about current government health policy is well worth a read.

A critique of government progress to date « SaraBurke.com

Irish medicines up to 24 times dearer than in New Zealand | The Irish Times
    Cuts are destroying healthcare, says Reilly - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 30, 2012
    http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/FairCaredocument.pdf
    Last edited by ger12; 30th November 2012 at 11:28 AM.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ridiculous. I thought prevention was cheaper than major intervention to cure. I myself haven't been to my GP in years...not at those prices. If something goes wrong (hope not..) they'll have to cart me to the hospital (a good 80 mins drive away..). No medical cards for yours truly.
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this, sums up the issues facing people without medical cards perfectly and therefore, the report will be ignored by the IMO, Minister for Health, HSE and the establishment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bleeding public sector eh?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    The Irish Times reported yesterday on a report commission by the Department of Health. It turns out that ....

1. The report points to figures that show Irish GPs are the highest paid in the OECD and earn the second highest multiple of average wages

2. Ireland is the only EU health system that does not offer universal coverage of primary care. Gaps in health coverage create financial barriers to access, particularly for those just above the threshold for medical cards

3. Ireland is one of only three countries to charge “non-poor” households for essential prescription drugs and one of only six to charge for attending hospital emergency departments. It says the hospital charge is much higher than elsewhere – €100 compared to only €2-€30 in other countries that charge

4. Commonly used medicines cost up to 24 times more in Ireland than they do in New Zealand (comparable in size)

5. It costs €51 on average to visit a GP here compared to €22 in France. In fact last year the man from the IMF pointed out at a press conference that a GP visit costs double in this country than many other European countries

The authors warn that efficiency gains from planned and additional reforms will not be sufficient to fund Minister for Health Dr James Reilly’s ambitious plans to provide universal access to primary care and strengthen services.

Another fine mess. Nearly two years into his Ministry and Dr Reilly has not addressed these in any real terms. To date the IMO (which represents GP's) has had no discussions regarding the promised medical cards for 56,000 patients with long-term illness (like CF or MS). The Troika pushed him to allow all GP's treat medical card patients.

So what has James been doing for the last nearly two years?

Was the FG manifesto on health really just a nice looking brochure that James actually had no intention of implementing?

Seriously, UHI, free GP care .... was it all a simple election promise that James had no real intention of following through on? Should "we" be listening very carefully now to what Ms Shortall has to say?

A speech given by journalist, broadcaster and health policy analyst Sara Burke (as an independent commentator) to Fianna Fail’s first annual policy conference about current government health policy is well worth a read.

A critique of government progress to date « SaraBurke.com

Irish medicines up to 24 times dearer than in New Zealand | The Irish Times
    Cuts are destroying healthcare, says Reilly - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 30, 2012
    http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/FairCaredocument.pdf

I could not find a link to GP pay

http://www.oecd.org/els/healthpolici...RELAND2012.pdf

It seems strange that GPs are leaving to go abroad for better pay.

Quote Originally Posted by willow68 View Post
    Ridiculous. I thought prevention was cheaper than major intervention to cure. I myself haven't been to my GP in years...not at those prices. If something goes wrong (hope not..) they'll have to cart me to the hospital (a good 80 mins drive away..). No medical cards for yours truly.
    Not even for regular check ups?. Early symptoms of serious conditions are often spotted during routine health screenings.
    I'd get myself down for a check up pronto if I we're you. Expensive yes, but cheaper in the long run if you have something nasty brewing.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    I could not find a link to GP pay

http://www.oecd.org/els/healthpolici...RELAND2012.pdf

It seems strange that GPs are leaving to go abroad for better pay.
    Paul Cullen reported on this DoH document but no link was given and it's unclear as to whether it has been published yet.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Encourage your children to study medicine is the clear message here. This thread belongs in the education forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely ridiculous. People just simply cannot afford to go to the doctor, surely it is more expensive in the long run as if minor ailments are missed then it means a trip to hospital and costs the state much more.Even if a person can scrape together the 50 euro to see the doctor then you get another boot up the backside when you have to fork out at the chemist. I pay 132 at the chemist each and every month.Our so called health care is a joke.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Paul Cullen reported on this DoH document but no link was given and it's unclear as to whether it has been published yet.
    As there are negotiations ongoing regarding pay for GPs , I would be suspicious of any spin.

It would be good to see the source for this.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast