Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

One of the pro choice arguments for making abortion available in Ireland is that it would be more convenient than travelling to the UK.

Personally I believe that abortion customers would be likely to value the increased privacy of a UK abortion over the supposed convenience of an Irish Abortion if such were permitted under similar conditions as they are in the UK.

Very few people admit they have had abortions in the way they might admit they had some other medical procedure done.

It is very likely in my opinion, that pro life campaigners would seek to identify customers for abortion services in any clinic in Ireland.

Essentially I am asking would an abortion clinic be a viable commercial proposition if abortion was liberalised as an essentially on demand service?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

One of the pro choice arguments for making abortion available in Ireland is that it would be more convenient than travelling to the UK.

Personally I believe that abortion customers would be likely to value the increased privacy of a UK abortion over the supposed convenience of an Irish Abortion if such were permitted under similar conditions as they are in the UK.

Very few people admit they have had abortions in the way they might admit they had some other medical procedure done.

It is very likely in my opinion, that pro life campaigners would seek to identify customers for abortion services in any clinic in Ireland.

Essentially I am asking would an abortion clinic be a viable commercial proposition if abortion was liberalised as an essentially on demand service?
    Yes, people would still travel, for all sorts of reasons. Yes a clinic here would do very well, as time moves on, people feel more free to do as they please.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lying eyes View Post
    Yes, people would still travel, for all sorts of reasons. Yes a clinic here would do very well, as time moves on, people feel more free to do as they please.
    It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping into someone you know?
    Last edited by potholedogger; 29th November 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the start most women would still goto England and farther afield due to the social pressures attached to abortion in Ireland.

However as time went on more women would start to have there abortions in Ireland until eventually it normalised.

I would assume the first women to attend abortion clinics in Ireland would not be native Irish as they do not get subjected to the same social pressures and eventually Irish women would start to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    At the start most women would still goto England and farther afield due to the social pressures attached to abortion in Ireland.

However as time went on more women would start to have there abortions in Ireland until eventually it normalised.

I would assume the first women to attend abortion clinics in Ireland would not be native Irish as they do not get subjected to the same social pressures and eventually Irish women would start to follow.
    who knows

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping int someone you know?
    Everyone in Ireland knows someone who has had an abortion, it is just that most don't know it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

You don't seriously think that that is even remotely possible, do you?

As for your other question, about whether women would still go to the UK, since I read in here that the estimates of the frequency of abortions among Irish women suggest that numbers are similar to in the UK, I think the answer is that it probably depends on how much more restrictive the rules are.

life is cheap to them there is no chance they would fork out on a trip

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping int someone you know?
    People should mind their own ******************************ing business and people shouldn't be ashamed to live their own lives as they please.
    What business is it of anyone else if someone is gay or straight, whether they are using contraceptives or not, whether they are unmarried and living together or if they are virgins on their wedding night, whether they have abortions or whether they have 15 children?
    The private lives of other people are none of my concern.
    Any woman who wants an abortion should have the right to choose to have one if she likes.
    Screw these anti-sex, anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-contraceptives, anti-abortion, anti-divorce, bible thumping Catholic ******************************nuts.
    Can you image what these maniacs will get up to outside abortion clinics in Ireland if they ever become legal?

"Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

H. l. Mencken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    People should mind their own ******************************ing business and people shouldn't be ashamed to live their own lives as they please.
    What business is it of anyone else if someone is gay or straight, whether they are using contraceptives or not, whether they are unmarried and living together or if they are virgins on their wedding night, whether they have abortions or whether they have 15 children?
    The private lives of other people are none of concern.
    Any woman who wants an abortion should have the right to choose to have one if she likes.
    Screw these anti-sex, anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-contraceptives, anti-abortion, anti-divorce, bible thumping Catholic ******************************nuts.
    Yeah, who cares if a husband beats his wife or rapes his kid.

Everything goes. Eh?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast