Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Red Traffic Lights just there for decoration ?

Default Are Red Traffic Lights just there for decoration ?

On a recent visit to New York i was amazed to see traffic cops stalking cars at junctions. Stealthily watching to see if anybody jumps a red light or oversteps the white line.

It seems that Parking and Speeding offences are pretty well policed on our roads. So, what are your observations on Red Lights ? Does it seem to you that an Amber light is an instruction to accelerate or is it just my imagination ? Maybe you were in an accident at a set of traffic lights ? Or maybe unfairly done for breaking a red light ?
    Opinions please, especially from those who have lived abroad.
    Are Red traffic Lights just there for decoration ?
    Please keep the discussion polite and respectful.
    Is it time for red-light cameras? | Pacific Daily News | guampdn.com
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember reading "What traffic lights mean - Irish version" a while back. It went something like this:

Green - back straight of a Grand Prix.

Amber - accelerate.

Red - last three.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member Nordie Northsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Round our way, it's best to let the first three or four vehicles go ahead. It's a de facto rule. And as for cyclists...don't get me started!
    Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!

i commend the efforts of the traffic gardai in curtailing drink driving, a welcome improvement.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

[QUOTE=Spirit Of Newgrange;6096876]On a recent visit to New York i was amazed to see traffic cops stalking cars at junctions. Stealthily watching to see if anybody jumps a red light or oversteps the white line.

It seems that Parking and Speeding offences are pretty well policed on our roads. So, what are your observations on Red Lights ? Does it seem to you that an Amber light is an instruction to accelerate or is it just my imagination ? Maybe you were in an accident at a set of traffic lights ? Or maybe unfairly done for breaking a red light ?
    Opinions please, especially from those who have lived abroad.
    Are Red traffic Lights just there for decoration ?
    Please keep the discussion polite and respectful. [QUOTE]

for traffic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a red light on the Ballinacurra Rd. in Limerick City, that you swing left into almost immediately, from Childers Rd.; easily the most ignored red light in the history of driving.

Red lights it sems, are there to be ''chanced''.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I 'had' to run an amber yesterday with the ice. I drive an automatic and with the ice yesterday I was terrified to brake, so of course just as I was approaching it it turns amber and with a car tailgateing me I felt I had no choice. Sh*t a brick though!

Wish anti tailgating was enforced more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It never fails to amaze me to see cars running red lights (with amber you can sort of understand). I don't get it. So, the driver gets to where they are going a minute earlier but at what risk? A few guards out at main junctions for the next few weeks would stop the madness. Can you be fined?
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In New York you can turn left on a red light.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    In New York you can turn left on a red light.
    Turn right?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast