Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Leveson reports: A damning indictment of the UK Media

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Leveson reports: A damning indictment of the UK Media

Leveson reports today and paints a very murky picture of the UK media environment. He's calling for a new watchdog to be put together:

It should be governed by an independent board. The chair and the members of the board must be appointed in a genuinely open, transparent and independent way."
    This watchdog should have the ability to fine a maximum of 1 million to serial wrongdoers.

He also wants an arbitration process around claims of media libel.

He talks about the inappropriate closeness of politicians to the media, failings by police, and the need to respect privacy of public individuals, as well as going after the Murdoch empire.

It's causing chaos in the political circles. Milliband has of course come out in favour of accepting it all, but the government are split. Cameron is speaking right now on it and is against a statutory independent watching. The Lib Dems are expected to make their own statement in favour. It's going to be a fascinating few days.

Leveson report: key points | Media | guardian.co.uk

Leveson report published - live coverage | Media | guardian.co.uk
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A phenomenal "Own Goal" by the Press....

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We could let loose in a blast of schadenfreude concerning the telephone message reading racket.
    In fact there would be something very smug and very pro-establishment Ireland about such a course of action.

The damming indictment of the Irish media is the property boom bust.
    Plus Eircom Shares. Plus bank shares. Plus the Borrowing Binge on lifestyle borrowing.

And then we get the episodes of where it takes the Irish media forever to investigate issues.

My greatest fear for the British is that they will end up with a collection of paid up hoors, like we have. Plus the odd gombeen like John Waters thrown in.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully the British press have been preparing for just this eventuality and have files of muck on the holier than thou sh*tbags who will appoint themselves Witch Finder General.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Hopefully the British press have been preparing for just this eventuality and have files of muck on the holier than thou sh*tbags who will appoint themselves Witch Finder General.
    The alternative "Witch Finder General" is an alcoholic hack from Fleet Street, the legendary Private Eye character known as Lunchtime O'Booze. Who voted for that as moral arbiter?

But no one writes about him, or if they do, his name is disguised.

That seems a bit unbalanced to me. I do not want Government regulation, but neither do I want moral regulation by ignorant hacks. Or let them publish and be dammed by an independent regulator.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    We could let loose in a blast of schadenfreude concerning the telephone message reading racket.
    In fact there would be something very smug and very pro-establishment Ireland about such a course of action.

The damming indictment of the Irish media is the property boom bust.
    Plus Eircom Shares. Plus bank shares. Plus the Borrowing Binge on lifestyle borrowing.

And then we get the episodes of where it takes the Irish media forever to investigate issues.

My greatest fear for the British is that they will end up with a collection of paid up hoors, like we have. Plus the odd gombeen like John Waters thrown in.
    The degradation of the press under a regime of self regulation/no regulation has run hand in hand with a degradation in civil society. If the press cannot itself face up to the fact that it has responsibilities that go beyond boosting circulation at all costs, then someone, somewhere has to force them to do so.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I find it hard to disagree with Cameron on this:

"The danger is that this would create a vehicle for politicians, whether today or some time in the future, to impose regulation and obligations on the press, something Lord Justice Leveson himself wishes to avoid.

"I believe there may be alternative options for putting in place incentives providing reassurance to the public and ensuring the Leveson principles of regulation are put in place, and these options should be explored.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As much as I dislike the criminal invasion into the lives of non public individuals and believe the media in general should be hauled into line, I also believe legislation by the Brit govt would weaken the freedom of the press. I would like to see a strong independent of the press complaints commission with the power to close or punitively fine those media that invade personal privacy of individuals.
    Its Up to ME