Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there poison in our country?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is there poison in our country?

This is an excerpt from: Grieving developer urges NAMA to treat debtors 'with humanity' - National News - Independent.ie

In an emotional interview with the Irish Independent, Mr Paddy Kelly revealed the deep stresses that Mr O'Regan had been under in recent months as years of high profile clashes with his banks took a toll. "Hugh was deeply wounded by what was going on.

"There is no compassion, it's as though we don't care for each other anymore. There is a poison in our country, where did that come from?" asked Mr Kelly. Mr Kelly said that he was seeing developers whose loans have been transferred to NAMA who are now experiencing huge mental health problems.

Should we be a forgiving nation or should the people who rode the tiger and lost be welcomed back into the fold of those who are now picking up all the pieces of their mess, experiencing the deep stresses and also being screwed by the banks?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newton's second law of motion applies to not only gravity, but life- to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Regards...Isaac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    This is an excerpt from: Grieving developer urges NAMA to treat debtors 'with humanity' - National News - Independent.ie

In an emotional interview with the Irish Independent, Mr Paddy Kelly revealed the deep stresses that Mr O'Regan had been under in recent months as years of high profile clashes with his banks took a toll. "Hugh was deeply wounded by what was going on.

"There is no compassion, it's as though we don't care for each other anymore. There is a poison in our country, where did that come from?" asked Mr Kelly. Mr Kelly said that he was seeing developers whose loans have been transferred to NAMA who are now experiencing huge mental health problems.

Should we be a forgiving nation or should the people who rode the tiger and lost be welcomed back into the fold of those who are now picking up all the pieces of their mess, experiencing the deep stresses and also being screwed by the banks?
    Nama is only dealing with money and possessions. I doubt anyone is being put out on the street. If the developer class has become emotionally attached to the myth that they are wealthy - then Nama demolishing that myth is going to have an impact on their mental health.

I'm not sure what else Nama could do really. The 'compassion' these developers are calling for is actually a free ride. They want to keep their stuff, even though its all borrowed from the rest of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you follow the logic for these individuals to their loans and the problems those loans caused for banks and by direct implications to us as taxpayers and of course our loss of financial control the reaction is very natural. While I can understand how someone allegedly worth millions has no cash it doesn't mean that I necessarily have any sympathy for them.

I also can't see what the big deal of having loans in NAMA is, bar having someone who will keep a far closer eye on what they are doing.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tough one, Burnout. People should be given a second chance, generally, but in the case of high-and-mighty developers fallen on hard times I'd have to insist that they haven't put several million worth of money/foreign property in the wife's name three days before the bailiffs came a-knocking. I'm not referring to O'Regan, who seemed to have genuinely been in need of medical help. No one deserves to die the way he did, my sympathies to his young family.
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Boggle

All people want is equilibrium restored. Nobody (worth mentioning) wants anyone to kill themselves or to suffer indefinitely, they just want justice for how this country has been destroyed by greed and developers are a fair target for anyone who bought an overpriced, substandard house which they are now suffering to pay for.

If there was justice coming from govt then it would blow over but here we still are propping up property prices and bailing out banks with no recriminations so people are just getting angrier.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If anything they aren't hounding enough of the right people who caused the mess which the country is in.
    I'll start to forgive and forget once this country starts to bring people who deserve it to justice. I can forgive someone once they are securely behind bars serving their sentence experiencing genuine remorse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If it was France their shoes would be covered in spit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    "There is no compassion, it's as though we don't care for each other anymore. There is a poison in our country, where did that come from?" asked Mr Kelly.
    Lack of compassion comes from greed - prioritising material gain over concern for our fellow beings. Compassion is also eroded by injustice - when a person gains unfair advantage over another.

Many developers and their banker friends were actively responsible for these trends - stimulating property hysteria, producing low quality 'units' in areas lacking in proper infrastructure, gaining advantage via undue political influence that often slipped into corruption, to benefit from planning decisions and tax breaks.

As Boggle has alluded to, righting injustices would go a long way to restoring compassion in this country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    If it was France their shoes would be covered in spit
    Who, and why?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast