Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report suggests 'payroll tax' to protect healthcare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Report suggests 'payroll tax' to protect healthcare

Report suggests 'payroll tax' to protect healthcare - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 29, 2012

A report by the Dept of Health says that unless they find a way to pay themselves less, then new taxes will have to be invented to maintain our high standards of healthcare.

"Payroll taxes, found in 18 out of 27 European countries, are common across high-income countries, the report notes."

The report recommends a 'payroll tax'. Now, I've heard this phrase from the US, but I always thought PRSI was a payroll tax. Your employer pays it - its a cost of employing someone. I don't understand how it is different from what this report is proposing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a bad idea, it works fine in the likes of Germany and Holland, but over here it would merely rubberstamp all the inbuilt systemic inefficiency of the HSE. Where's the political will to truly reform local government and health care systems. Pies in the sky.. Incidentally, there's been a broken water pipe in my street for the last three months. I expect an attempt by government to levy water charges. A good metaphor for the whole rotten thing that we're made to endure daily.
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by willow68 View Post
    Not a bad idea, it works fine in the likes of Germany and Holland, but over here it would merely rubberstamp all the inbuilt systemic inefficiency of the HSE. Where's the political will to truly reform local government and health care systems. Pies in the sky.. Incidentally, there's been a broken water pipe in my street for the last three months. I expect an attempt by government to levy water charges. A good metaphor for the whole rotten thing that we're made to endure daily.
    It isn't a bad idea - but I think we've had payroll taxes for decades. PRSI includes a component earmarked only for the health system. Its paid by employers. Is that not exactly what this report is calling for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we already have a whole range of 'payroll' taxes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

t isn't a bad idea - but I think we've had payroll taxes for decades. PRSI includes a component earmarked only for the health system. Its paid by employers. Is that not exactly what this report is calling for?
    We agree. My point was, though, that unless duplication and inefficiencies are seriously and intelligently tackled, it's just more taxation for no particular improvement of services.
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Politics.ie Member jams odonnell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An employer payment is the main funding source (along with the individual's insurance payment) in The German and Dutch Universal Health Insurance systems. The Employer contribution is used to fund chronic conditions. Not a bad idea. All in the implementation....

Politics.ie Member Skin the Goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    It isn't a bad idea - but I think we've had payroll taxes for decades. PRSI includes a component earmarked only for the health system. Its paid by employers.
    Sorry???

Health Levy
    The health levy is a charge payable by all individuals aged between 16 & 70 towards the cost of health services in the State. For many years the health levy was charged at a rate of 2% however the rates for the 2010 tax year are now as follows:

Employed & self employed contributors
    4% on income up to €75,036
    5% on income over €75,036

An employee or a self employed contributor will be exempt from the health levy where his/her income for the year does not exceed €26,000. Also, holders of a full medical card are exempt from the health levy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Report suggests 'payroll tax' to protect healthcare - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 29, 2012

A report by the Dept of Health says that unless they find a way to pay themselves less, then new taxes will have to be invented to maintain our high standards of healthcare.

"Payroll taxes, found in 18 out of 27 European countries, are common across high-income countries, the report notes."

The report recommends a 'payroll tax'. Now, I've heard this phrase from the US, but I always thought PRSI was a payroll tax. Your employer pays it - its a cost of employing someone. I don't understand how it is different from what this report is proposing.
    Stupid question incoming but why dont the pay themselves less instead of inventing new taxes to keep the perks going ?
    Support the NVNG Movement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skin the Goat View Post
    Sorry???

Health Levy
    The health levy is a charge payable by all individuals aged between 16 & 70 towards the cost of health services in the State. For many years the health levy was charged at a rate of 2% however the rates for the 2010 tax year are now as follows:

Employed & self employed contributors
    4% on income up to €75,036
    5% on income over €75,036

An employee or a self employed contributor will be exempt from the health levy where his/her income for the year does not exceed €26,000. Also, holders of a full medical card are exempt from the health levy.
    Unless you are self employed, your employer pays about an additional 10% (I forget the exact number) of your salary as Employer PRSI - a portion of which goes to health. This is in addition to the PRSI you pay out of your wage and the health levy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cytex View Post
    Stupid question incoming but why dont the pay themselves less instead of inventing new taxes to keep the perks going ?

Quote Originally Posted by department official
    ahahahaha

ahahahahaha

Ahahahahahahahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast