Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistleblower reveals illegal removal of penalty points from the licences of the establishment

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Whistleblower reveals illegal removal of penalty points from the licences of the establishment

The independent is reporting this morning that a whistleblower has revealed a culture of illegally removing penalty points from the records of a variety of judges, celebrities and gardaí.

Garda wiped driving slate for two judges and RTE presenter - National News - Independent.ie

The article claims over 50,000 cases of the slate being wiped clean.

There appears to be an senior-level internal Garda enquiry on the behaviour of one garda, while the Independent's source is making reference to a "cultural problem" within the Garda Siochána.

Shatter is apparently looking into the matter.

All this is sadly not surprising. I wonder will the whistleblower achieve a little change in this area.

Just as importantly, will he or she be adequately protected from any retaliation for his contribution to protecting the public interest.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Do you know who I am" is alive and well.

This will get interesting if there is even a hint of a "fee" for "services".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure what can be said here apart from not being at all surprised as the piece clearly mentions that there is an investigation under way.
    Last edited by sic transit; 29th November 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Don't know if you ever saw Dara O'Brian on how the UK has right and wrong, black and white , where as we have varying bits of grey in the middle .....

Certainly thats the experience when dealing with the Gardai , I have seen my english brother in law open mouthed when after a stern ticking off , the garda has sent me on my way ....ticket free but chastised

And having lived in the UK where no leeway or judgement is allowed to the police officer I much prefer - and even think it benefits society- to have the Irish way

Thats not condoning the deleting of points just a warning to be careful what you wish for
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    No sure what can be said here apart from not being at all surprised as the piece clearly mentions that there is an investigation under way.
    I think the watchword might be "watch this space" on this topic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't it Martin Mansergh who told us to "respect your betters"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I think the watchword might be "watch this space" on this topic.
    Sure although I'd expect this thread to be more of the type of tale that brughahaha above has mentioned.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    Don't know if you ever saw Dara O'Brian on how the UK has right and wrong, black and white , where as we have varying bits of grey in the middle .....

Certainly thats the experience when dealing with the Gardai , I have seen my english brother in law open mouthed when after a stern ticking off , the garda has sent me on my way ....ticket free but chastised

And having lived in the UK where no leeway or judgement is allowed to the police officer I much prefer - and even think it benefits society- to have the Irish way

Thats not condoning the deleting of points just a warning to be careful what you wish for
    Spoken like a true FFer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post

If only the truth about UK police was as rosy as you described.
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast