Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: The future for politics in Clare

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The future for politics in Clare

    Fellow Banner folk, I've long said on different fora that I find all parties hard to bear and not so much because of the parties themselves, I have many friends active in almost all the parties in the county, but because I genuinely believe that no matter what your hue, there has been a culture in Irish politics emanating from those elected in the 70's and 80's and that has poisoned the well. What is needed is a total clear out and to start with a new generation as mine has failed Ireland.

    I wouldn't necessarily have a huge problem with any individual political party's supposed ideologies (well the Socialists make me a tad uneasy but then again, they've yet to be proven wrong or right) so party allegiance doesn't mean much to me. What I'd like to know is, are there any people from the younger generation actually getting involved and putting themselves forward any more or are even those with political ambitions flying the coop and heading to Oz? I voted young Markham last time out number 1 and really liked the sound of him. Although he may still have been a bit green and naive during some of the Clare FM debates I was impressed with his enthusiasm and he really hit a chord with me when he spoke about ethics in politics.

    Surely he can't be alone however in a county the size of Clare. Where are the politically engaged youth of the county gone?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Ernesto Guevara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dal gCais View Post
    Where are the politically engaged youth of the county gone?
    They were last seen in the departures lounge at Shannon airport.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Were you his campaign manager, horse?
    Never met the kid to be honest. Did know of his uncle who was a good boxer a couple of decades ago but that was about it.

    Ernesto, if that's the case I think I'd better get a fat black marker ready for the next election in order to write "F*** you ALL" on my ballot. None of the current 4 nor the Senators there give me any hope really. Needs a new generation completely.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Maction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dal gCais View Post
    Fellow Banner folk, I've long said on different fora that I find all parties hard to bear and not so much because of the parties themselves, I have many friends active in almost all the parties in the county, but because I genuinely believe that no matter what your hue, there has been a culture in Irish politics emanating from those elected in the 70's and 80's and that has poisoned the well. What is needed is a total clear out and to start with a new generation as mine has failed Ireland.

    I wouldn't necessarily have a huge problem with any individual political party's supposed ideologies (well the Socialists make me a tad uneasy but then again, they've yet to be proven wrong or right) so party allegiance doesn't mean much to me. What I'd like to know is, are there any people from the younger generation actually getting involved and putting themselves forward any more or are even those with political ambitions flying the coop and heading to Oz? I voted young Markham last time out number 1 and really liked the sound of him. Although he may still have been a bit green and naive during some of the Clare FM debates I was impressed with his enthusiasm and he really hit a chord with me when he spoke about ethics in politics.

    Surely he can't be alone however in a county the size of Clare. Where are the politically engaged youth of the county gone?
    Switched my vote to Dublin South so did not vote in Clare for the last election. However, I know far too many people who voted for Hillary simply because his 'dad was a good man'. Even though he was an FF candidate, he nearly got in just because of his name..... need I say any more!
    All great truths start as blasphemies

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member CptSternn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maction View Post
    Switched my vote to Dublin South so did not vote in Clare for the last election. However, I know far too many people who voted for Hillary simply because his 'dad was a good man'. Even though he was an FF candidate, he nearly got in just because of his name..... need I say any more!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Maction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
    Brilliant!
    All great truths start as blasphemies

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maction View Post
    Brilliant!
    That's exactly it! When you're faced with a range of candidate that are each as unelectable as the next how are you supposed to choose? Are there any young people though ye have even heard of that might be interested or would be good if someone convinced them? Are any of the parties looking at young candidates at all? I even hear that SF are putting forward someone in my area who's as old as myself. Not looking good at all.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well with this being the current behaviour of our elected officials at the county council meetings, it's more clear than ever that a complete overhaul of council members is needed in that county. Disgraceful! They're more interested in stuffing their faces (multiple times a day) for free than getting on with the business we pay them for!

    Mayor pleads for silence amid chamber rumpus

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well I see the Clare People have formally declared who they're backing running into the locals next year. They have their preferred candidates splashed all over page 6 of this weeks issue. No link available as they've a pay site. Is anyone able to put the extract up? Or more importantly, does anyone know those people in question, particularly your man Greaney as he should be in my area?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dal gCais View Post
    Well I see the Clare People have formally declared who they're backing running into the locals next year. They have their preferred candidates splashed all over page 6 of this weeks issue. No link available as they've a pay site. Is anyone able to put the extract up? Or more importantly, does anyone know those people in question, particularly your man Greaney as he should be in my area?
    Found a way to get the article up. Not great quality but am wondering if they'll do all parties or are the People very pro-FF? Anyone able to shed any light on this?


Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •