Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coroners Act 1962: Time to tell Praveen and Michael Martin where to get off.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Coroners Act 1962: Time to tell Praveen and Michael Martin where to get off.

The rush to rubbish any of the initiatives by the agents of the State to investigate the Savita Tragedy is getting out of hand.

Praveen should cooperate with every effort by the agents of the State if there is even the slightest prospect that doing so might save a single life.

Michael Martin has plunged in to undermine the efforts of the agents of the State in investigating the Tragedy, calling for an Independent Enquiry, with foreign experts from outside the country to establish the full circumstances.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny, wisely stated that "I don't think we should say anything about this until we are in possession of all the facts"

The Coroners Act of 1962 and as amended in 2005 provides for a Inquest to be held which is fully Independent. Our Statutory processes should not be criticised and undermined before they have taken place by either bereaved people or indeed our politicians particularly politicians who have served in Government.

A Coroners Inquest can serve a summons to compel witnesses.

AS Coroner is obliged to carry out an Inquest where
    Coroners Act, 1962, Section 17

http://www.coroner.ie/en/CS/Pages/Inquests

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with above.

A coroner may also call independent witnesses

A well run inquest may establish a lot here, without the delay and expense of some of the other forms of enquiry mentioned.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    I agree with above.

A well run inquest may establish a lot here, without the delay and expense of some of the other forms of enquiry mentioned.
    How much would a Barrister Fattening Enquiry cost? There are thousands of people whose medical outcomes could be improved with what would be spent on another Barrister Fattening Tribunal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I agree with an inquest. We need to stop politicising a tragedy. I suspect the Labour Party will oppose this as it risks undermining their arguments for abortion-on-demand if the cause of death is not found to be related to the absence of a termination. We only have Praveen's word for it that she even asked for an abortion. The medical records say no such thing.

The last thing we need is another 10-20 yr Tribunal based on 1920's British govt legislation that runs on for years and makes millionaires out of the legal-profession. Sometimes the grieving are the worst people to give advice in situations like this. Reason must govern natural sympathy with victims's family. The wider interest of Irish mothers and children have to come first in deciding how to move forward. I do not believe the Irish people want to move to UK-style abortion-on-demand. It was reported in the media yesterday or today that just 15% of Irish women had sought out information on receiving an abortion.
    Last edited by Dame_Enda; 28th November 2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Real News.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, i'm sympathetic to the family and the situation shows the negligence of govts since the X case

however, that sympathy for the family doesnt mean the family are in the best position to judge how Ireland as a community, including Praveen, should address the clincial and legal issues brought into the spotlight by this tragedy.

Similarly, Michael Martin looking for political points, at the minimum such comments should be accompanied by an admission that his party's inaction over an extended period helped cause the tragedy.

establishing the facts is the right thing to do in the first instance. i dont see a basis to believe that the steps already taken cannot succeed to establish the facts.

based on the outcomes of these investigations we can make a as to further investigations by different bodies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    I agree with above.

Agreed.
    Im still trying to figure why the husband sought medical records from HSE and wanted all other copies destroyed.

Agents of the State should be allowed to carry out their duties without interference from gombeen opposition leaders, OR an Ambassador from a despot regime where millions starve in streets with open sewers while they spend millions on a space programme.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    The rush to rubbish any of the initiatives by the agents of the State to investigate the Savita Tragedy is getting out of hand.

Praveen should cooperate with every effort by the agents of the State if there is even the slightest prospect that doing so might save a single life.

Michael Martin has plunged in to undermine the efforts of the agents of the State in investigating the Tragedy, calling for an Independent Enquiry, with foreign experts from outside the country to establish the full circumstances.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny, wisely stated that "I don't think we should say anything about this until we are in possession of all the facts"

The Coroners Act of 1962 and as amended in 2005 provides for a Inquest to be held which is fully Independent. Our Statutory processes should not be criticised and undermined before they have taken place by either bereaved people or indeed our politicians particularly politicians who have served in Government.

A Coroners Inquest can serve a summons to compel witnesses.

AS Coroner is obliged to carry out an Inquest where
    Coroners Act, 1962, Section 17

Coroner Service: Inquests
    The dead woman's husband is either playing or is being played.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nowhere did the husband say that he would not cooperate with the Coroner as far as I am aware. What he did have issue, rightly, with is the HSE performing an inquiry behind closed doors into the HSE. Ridiculous rubbish. The above OP is an affront to the man and a clear attempt to attack him personally that the OP should be ashamed of. The fact that the OP feels the need to bring a politician into gives away the fact that while he decries people trying to politicize this tragedy, he's a hypocrite for doing the same. I have no faith in HSE internal inquiries, especially with the way the Health Service has been deteriorating at an alarming rate. It was bad under the last shower and is only getting worse with Bottler in charge. Trying to brush screw-ups under the table behind closed doors is only going to cause further avoidable deaths down the road!

Further, the Act doesn't apply as the case of death is already known and well documented. It was septicemia. A coroner is not in a statutory position to speculate as to whether other courses of action would have saved her life or not and that is the crux of the debate. I find this whole thread a bit dis-tasteful I must admit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it interesting that nearly everyone mentioned in the post is given a title or at least the courtesy of a surname, except Mr. Praveen Halappanavar who is identified only by his first name.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fizzgig View Post
    I find it interesting that nearly everyone mentioned in the post is given a title or at least the courtesy of a surname, except Mr. Praveen Halappanavar who is identified only by his first name.
    I think you are reading something in to it that isn't there, to be fair.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast