Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Ireland match Germany's record on renewables? If not, why not?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Can Ireland match Germany's record on renewables? If not, why not?

Germany's multiplied the share of its power coming from renewables several times over since the Chernobyl disaster pushed the issue to the forefront.

It's certainly possible to do in Germany. Many like to claim that this is not so in Ireland.

Any evidence for that?

This is vastly important economically, as a renewable resource has zero fuel cost going forward. Ireland currently has very weak national hydrocarbon resources, and our continued ability to reliably purchase them externally is extremely dubious.

So moving towards a zero-fuel-cost energy mix is priority number one.

That said, I'm open to honest views as to why Germany's success is impossible to replicate here. Especially since we have the power to learn from Germany's errors, like its unwise focus on PV solar in a cloudy country. I don't think it's necessarily beyond our power to avoid such obvious mistakes. Less obvious errors are inevitable, of course. But clearly the worst error is the notion of sticking to the status quo of hoping really hard that there isn't another financial crisis which makes oil imports less affordable.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I think trying to become self sufficient in everything would be a disaster, energy independence would be a boon for sure.

I do find it strange that those who predict the collapse of the Euro and Dollar are the same ones who are against us planning for this eventuality.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does Germany have nuclear power?

Boggle

We should be putting our money into energy storage and management systems first because without it, it's useless.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can Ireland match Germany's record on renewables?

By that do you mean:

opening more coal fired power stations,
    increasing coal consumption
    struggling through costly supply failures
    rapidly rising prices

Yeah. I am wondering why we would want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Does Germany have nuclear power?
    Don't quote me, but I believe they are looking to get rid of it, and are switching to fossil fuels.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their success isn't impossible here but it can be contributed to their geographical area like how much sunlight and heat they get for the likes of solar power and geothermal power.

The advantages for us are wind which means we can use wind engery, hydroeletrical and possibly nuclear if eu lets us since its rather safier in our country since we have very few natural disasters.

Since farmers only get paid for what they sell in food i.e CAP, we could open up a new market for them using biofuel and bioengery.

Basically we could let them sell off excess plants and veggies to be biomassed into fuel for transport and into eletricity. Which would make a huge advantage.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If renewable power makes economic sense, it will happen.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is one thing to avoid.
    German Solar Subsidies to Remain High with Consumers Paying the Price - SPIEGEL ONLINE

A new study by Georg Erdmann, professor of energy systems at Berlin's Technical University, reveals just how far Germany's current center-right governing coalition -- made up of Chancellor Angela Merkel's CDU and the business-friendly Free Democrats (FDP) -- has strayed from its own self-imposed goals. Erdmann has calculated the effects that the latest changes to the EEG will have between now and 2030. He believes that subsidies for renewable energy, including an expansion of the power grid, will saddle energy consumers with costs well over €300 billion ($377 billion).

For 300 billion, it had better be worth it.

Let's not do it this way:
    To the delight of the solar industry, Altmaier has decided to divert the largest share of renewable energy subsidies to photovoltaics, the most expensive renewable energy technology. As a result the solar industry is expecting continued record growth, despite the fact that photovoltaics are also the renewable energy least suited to the German climate.

Altmaier's concessions to the solar industry are all the more baffling given that the German government had announced intentions to cut subsidies significantly, making plans to reduce the construction of photovoltaic systems to a reasonable level. And Altmaier himself, in his previous role as whip for the Christian Democrats in German parliament, warned that subsidies for the solar industry were bringing about "billions in additional costs, every week, every month."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso12 View Post
    The advantages for us are wind which means we can use wind engery, hydroeletrical and possibly nuclear if eu lets us since its rather safier in our country since we have very few natural disasters.
    Most don't trust the government to spend the HHC money effectively, do we really want those same people in charge of regulating a nuclear reactor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast