Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should fat people be taxed?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should fat people be taxed?

The latest study indicating that Obesity is costing the State over €1 billion each year raises the issue of what action the State should take.

Some €400 million is reckoned to be spent directly in the Health Service treating the cost of obesity related health problems, while over €730 million is lost through reduced productivity.

The Study does not appear to mention savings due to lower pension costs related to obese people due to their shorter life expectancy.

In the area of pollution control the taxpayer is spared through the polluter pays principle. The logical action would be to tax fat people as opposed to the proposal to tax fat foods. This would focus the tax more directly to the problem rather than taxing thin people who eat fat food.

I believe fixing the problem could cost a lot of money in increased pensions payments.

20,000 slimmed down people, each living five years longer on pension would cost us a further €1.2 billion a year., on pension costs alone, a cost which would have to be borne directly by the State.

The cost of providing additional health care, to more slimmed down skinny people would be likely to cost an additional €5,000 per year per head, per year .

In addition the State would have to wait longer to take a tax yield on their estate. It just might be cheaper in the round not to deal with this problem!

Much of the cause of being overweight is due to lack of exercise not simply consuming too many calories.

3500 excess calories adds one pound of excess weight.

Some one can become overweight by failing to burn off 100 excess calories per day.

100 excess calories per day over a year adds up to 36500 excess calories or 10 extra pounds of weight.

Over ten years that 100 extra pounds.

10 grams of fat provides 100 calories. Taxing fatty foods will have no impact.

Obesity costs State
    Last edited by potholedogger; 28th November 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Fat people should have to pay an ugly-tax for an affront to common decency and gross damage to eye-candy statistics
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rupeni Caucaunibuca
    Date of birth 5 June 1980 (age 32)
    Place of birth Fiji
    Height 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
    Weight 116 kg (18 st 4 lb)

Define Fat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I posted this in another thread yesterday but it seems to fit here today:

"....I remember watching some US documentary years ago about obese poor people in the states, and lo and behold we are following the same trait.

From CSO: For example, pizza and ice cream cost 5pc less than they did a year ago, but vegetables and beef prices have shot up by 7pc and potatoes are up 19pc.

Meanwhile, the price of ready meals has plummeted by almost 10pc in three years, whereas the price of fresh fruit rose 4pc in that time.

There is a huge medical nightmare swooping down on us from all this craap food. If you look around the small towns of ireland junk food is all over the main streets. The body craves fat food and boy do we do junk....."

Obviously the media has woken up to the cost of the medical nightmare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At a hasty glance , I thought the OP read 'should fat people be axed ' , which would be a bit extreme.

Having had reason to visit hospitals lately , I am appalled at how many HSE employees have weight issues., particularly the younger ones.
    Shouldn't the HSE put its own house in order first, and sort out an exercise and nutrition regime for its people.
    Obesity leads to diabetes , cardiac and mobility issues and depression, among other complaints. All of which cost thecountrybdearly.
    James o Reilly himself is seriously overweight .
    Time for the department of Health to take a lead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will be like the stupid alcos, smokers and druggies etc. They go off and do what they want regardless of health, the rest of us survey the damage, clean up the mess and..... pay the bill.

Charge for the cost at source not pay them extra money to stay the way they are. A&E stations up to their oxters every weekend with drunken (where does everyone get the money for so much drink) louts, charge them 250E for the joy of having people everyone else sidesteb the vomit, the shouting, the freaky carry on etc. And the nurses are in the firing line for cuts.???

If you damage something you should pay. Hit them in the pocket it's the only way it works. I'm tired of the we're broke but...there seems to be a wealth of money to clean up other peoples I do'nt care attitude.

Boggle

The 700 million lost to productivity is bull and an issue between the employer and the employee. The state has no business getting involved.

The 400 million is fair enough but they never mention how much those people would cost us if they didn't die younger so it strikes me as a skewed study designed to arrive at a predetermined conclusion.

Simply put, there is another study which shows that obese people cost us less over the course of their lives than healthy people so no, we shouldn't tax them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's all have a hate session against fatties. That's going to solve all our problems, isn't it. While obesity is a visible manifestation of some underlying problem - poverty, depression, maybe even laziness, everybody has issues - even all of you physically perfect fat haters. But on a serious note, demonizing people is really counterproductive and unhelpful in the extreme. Obesity is a disease of the lower socio-economic classes, so perhaps that should be the starting point. Educating people about how to cook, food choices and a more exercise friendly living envirionment could all be achieved without costing major dough.. Though I suppose there is something in what someone else has said here, that fat poor people are in the interest of a government - less pensions to be paid out. If I were fat I'd nail that to my fridge door..illegitimi non carborundum!
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Dont we have a duty to tax or to otherwise impair 'Stupid' people first?

Is there not an argument for saying that fat people, glandular and physical problems aside, are not the brightest.

They choose the wrong food, they choose the wrong clothes...they clearly choose the wrong politicians.

Fat farmers and fat builders...Who would they vote for?

Fat politicians with FAT pensions and FAT heads.

Fat is the symptom, lack of awareness and poor life choices are the problem.

And a Skinny tax? Purely for the annoyance of waiting behind a 'skinny' in starbucks listening to a protracted order of a skinny double mochachino with marshmellows!

wtf?!

Let's deal with the stupid people first!!
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    The 700 million lost to productivity is bull and an issue between the employer and the employee. The state has no business getting involved.

The 400 million is fair enough but they never mention how much those people would cost us if they didn't die younger so it strikes me as a skewed study designed to arrive at a predetermined conclusion.

Simply put, there is another study which shows that obese people cost us less over the course of their lives than healthy people so no, we shouldn't tax them.
    Well put, but lets be honest, this is just a set up report to justify for an increase in taxation on certain foodstuffs next week... when the inevitable question is asked during the Budgetary Prime Time Special "and Minister, what about this "obesity tax", that you have decided to levy on soft drinks and high sugar content items", the Minister (or that Dublin Central eejit who always turns up on the VB Show can answer with a straight face...

"Well Miriam, as a study/report showed last week, this is a huge problem facing Ireland. We cannot continue to ignore this and we have to do something to safeguard the health of people"... but never mention it was also a handy way of shaking them down

Media manipulation at its best .. and simplest
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast