Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: John Waters: Journalism Masterclass

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Cirio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dublin S-E
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default John Waters: Journalism Masterclass

    (I hesitated to put this in the Education forum, so I did a coin-toss between Media and Entertainment. Sorry, Media.)

    John Waters, “analyst, reporter, columnist, author and protagonist” according to what reads as a self-penned, self-referential ode called “Course Information”, will deliver a Diploma course in Journalism at City Colleges (?) from January 2013. He seems to have made grudging peace with the interwebs, because students can be corporeal (€845) or unreal (€745).

    It's not for just anyone, mind. Journalists “... are also observers, interpreters, analysts, writers - and occasionally are called upon to be philosophers and poets as well!”

    The onanistic poem mentioned above is well worth a read, as are the course modules.

    I've read it all twice and have taken to my fainting couch.

    Diploma in Journalism, with John Waters | City Colleges
    Last edited by Cirio; 28th November 2012 at 04:35 AM.
    It's toasted.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I was crying, reading that.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's all so much goobledygook, the words and sentences are interchangeable.

    I can't be sure if its full of typos or not:

    "Protect/project your unique perspective"..."passionate engagement with reality""...distinctive subjectivity".

    My head hurts already; 30 hours of that...OMG E850

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    And there was me thinking it couldn't get any more ridiculous than Jim Power teaching a course on economics.

    What next, learn to drive with Mary Mitchell-O'Connor?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidoff View Post
    And there was me thinking it couldn't get any more ridiculous than Jim Power teaching a course on economics.

    What next, learn to drive with Mary Mitchell-O'Connor?
    Good idea for a Christmas board game.

    Just call it Shame Academy

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    One of the modules is called How to win the Web for good writing.

    If students ask nicely the college might add further modules, such as how to translate sh1t like that into English.


  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Cirio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dublin S-E
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    It's all so much goobledygook, the words and sentences are interchangeable.

    I can't be sure if its full of typos or not:

    "Protect/project your unique perspective"..."passionate engagement with reality""...distinctive subjectivity".

    My head hurts already; 30 hours of that...OMG E850
    I know. I'm not feeling the better of it yet. It's not just that it's gobbledygook, it's the particular flavour of it... The introductory piece of puffery doesn't reference journalism per se, but rather continues JW's personal crusade whilst lending it the veneer of institutional validation.

    The nods and winks to Waters' perceived status as unacknowledged, under-appreciated and iconoclastic maverick are laid on not so much with a trowel as with Christy Mahon's very own loy.
    It's toasted.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirio View Post
    (I hesitated to put this in the Education forum, so I did a coin-toss between Media and Entertainment. Sorry, Media.)

    John Waters, “analyst, reporter, columnist, author and protagonist” according to what reads as a self-penned, self-referential ode called “Course Information”, will deliver a Diploma course in Journalism at City Colleges (?) from January 2013. He seems to have made grudging peace with the interwebs, because students can be corporeal (€845) or unreal (€745).

    It's not for just anyone, mind. Journalists “... are also observers, interpreters, analysts, writers - and occasionally are called upon to be philosophers and poets as well!”

    The onanistic poem mentioned above is well worth a read, as are the course modules.

    I've read it all twice and have taken to my fainting couch.

    Diploma in Journalism, with John Waters | City Colleges
    Fair play for spotting it, Cirio.

    It's one of the things I like about this site. Amidst the earnest discussion of austerity, suicide and abortion there are occasional moments of unexpected hilarity.

    Can't beat a laugh at bedtime.


  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Pegeen Mike couldn't have put it better.

    Sure and he has a great way with the ould self-aggrandisement all right, and him only trying to enlighten ye all.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Gurdiev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I hope he's had a professional educator help him with the content. You could be mighty bewildered after 30 hours of intensive coaching by JW

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •