Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Big majority want a United Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Big majority want a United Ireland

Republic takes more relaxed approach to dual identity across the Border - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 27, 2012

Didnt see a threda on this and reckon this is most appropriate forum.

I have often seen people here talk about how people "down here" dont want Irish unity.

Time for a reality check:

The survey shows that a substantial majority of people would still like to see a united Ireland but only a minority believe it will happen in the next 25 years.
    One striking feature of the poll is a less partitionist attitude now than in 1987. At that stage when asked what constituted the Irish nation 38 per cent said the 26 counties and 56 per cent said the 32 counties with 6 per cent having no opinion.

Given the large number with no opinion on the subject it is interesting to note that 69 per cent of people say they would still favour a united Ireland even if they had to pay more in taxation to support it. Just 20 per cent said they would not favour unity in those circumstances while 11 per cent had no opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.